Kia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Sportage 2.0L Turbo Diesel (2001), Hyundai Tucson 2.0L (Petrol), Toyota Corolla 1.3L
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
Sportage 1G-Diesel issues not common in forum, but some member might know about this problem:
Got a 2001 Sportage Turbo Diesel, run good until recently.
It is like it do not get enough diesel, or looses it breath.
EGR: I've looked thru the EGR rubber hoses, and found that the EGr is set out of function. The rubber hose from the seloniod to the EGR vacuum-clock is blocked (Former owner?) with steel bolt approx 5mm in diameter. But the hose have become a bit stiff, so some vacuum might manage come past the blockage and operate the EGR? But an well functional EGR-valve should not set the engine complete out of power?
Wastegate? Can a stuck or bad operational wastegate give such problem? The engine idle nice, it rev also easy when not driving, but when starting to "work" it is like it gives up after 2-3 seconds.
Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,688 Posts
Diesel engines work on the premise that there is always good supply of air and the RPM/power is governed by the addition of fuel...

First check the air supply, filter, boost. Then check the fuel filter and pump pressure... Philip

·
Registered
Sportage 2.0L Turbo Diesel (2001), Hyundai Tucson 2.0L (Petrol), Toyota Corolla 1.3L
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Diesel engines work on the premise that there is always good supply of air and the RPM/power is governed by the addition of fuel...

First check the air supply, filter, boost. Then check the fuel filter and pump pressure... Philip
Strategy then will be:
1. Airfilter clean?
2. Intercooler open?
3. Boost leak (Any connection leaking air)
4. Waste gate arm/rocker operate free (Use compressed air to see that it operates)
5. Fuel filter clean? Or just change it
6. Attack the EGR. Block it VW Transporter T4 Syncro Camper Conversion: EGR Valve Cleaning and DJ's Classic GMC Motorhome

I stick to this approach, but as always when looking for something, it is alway the last place you look you find what you're looking for, so I should perhaps start with the EGR ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good weather so jumped into the task for solving the jerking.
Airfilter OK, no leak in turbo line. What I do not have is a new diesel filter.
So took of the EGR, and what a oily sooted mess in the intake manifold. Almost clogged with black greasy disposal. From an aluminium beercan I made two blending skims. Mounted the EGR back on. (It is very narrow space)
Started up, and it jerked a lot and after a short while it smoked huge amount of blue smoke. As the engine temp increased, all the oily disposal vent into the engine an no all boosted warm air went into the engine, and not "cooled" from exhaust via EGR.
The car runs a lot better, but it still jurks. It is a long time since diesel filter were changed, so I just suspect that lack of sufficient amount of diesel make this jurking.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fitted new fuel filter, and that made the last jerking stop. So two things to look into when a Sportage diesel start loosing power:

1. Fuel Filter, change it.
2. ERG valve, block it. (One trick might be to plug the rubber hose that operate the valve)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts