Kia Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 Sportage which recently blew the heater core. This has been bypassed until I can get behind the dash and replace it. Now the truck will crank but will not start unless I reset the PCM/ECM by removing the negative battery terminal and leaving it off for a few seconds. Once I reset, it starts and runs without a problem until I turn the engine off. Then I have to reset again to start it. I don't know if I need to buy a new PCM/ECM or if another component is to blame. One other problem. the airbag indicator light on the dash has been flashing a code (one long - pause - five short). Would appreciate any ideas you may have.

·
Registered
349 Posts
The coolant from the heater core might have damaged the ECM and the ADU (Airbag Diagnostic Unit). The ADU is in the center of the dash on the floor in front of the console. The ECM is in the passenger side footwell under the carpet. I would check for water damage to both components as well as the wiring. Seems too coincidential that after the heater core blows that you now have this trouble.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.