Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of ideas :[ I've read alot about some potential causes for the problem I am having, but none of them have worked and I am hoping someone has new insight. Got a real puzzle here.

Auto Transmission, 160k on the odometer

The Problem:
-Engine cranks but does not start, just turns over and over like its out of gas or isn't sparking, but then will jump a little like its gonna start, then a little more, then more faster and faster until it finally starts. And it only actually does this enough to actually start one in every 10 or 15 attempts to start it.

-When it does actually start, the engine runs rough, like its not getting enough of something (air or gas)

-The engine does not always rev when I press the accelerator, but sometimes it does

-The engine stalls out when slowing or stopping, especially when slowing into a turn, when I feel the power steering engage to turn the wheels, the engine slows and stops.

-CEL is on and throwing P1121, P1115, P1624

-Did a battery, starter, alternator test at advance auto: Since the car isn't starting properly, that obviously gave them a starter error (but it doesnt make sense that the starter would cause the stalling problems)

What I Have Already Done:
-Replaced Fuel Pump, Engine Relays, Fuel Filter
-Replaced Spark Plugs
-Checked Coils and wires for appropriate resistance
-A quick search of the codes led to the TPS, a water temp sensor, and some sort of error from the TCM in the transmission (hold light is flashing)
-Replaced the TPS, noticed the previous owner had damaged the wire to this sensor, the solid yellow wire had been cut somehow and connected to a mystery black wire running who knows where. I disconnected it from the black wire and back to the damaged orignal yellow wire on the wiring harness
-Cleaned IAC with carb cleaner and checked wires and connection

What I Might Do:
-Replace starter
-Replace wiring harness from ECM to TPS
-Check and replace alternator
-Drive Sportage into Lake! (not really :] )

Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated, as everything I have done on the list has done nothing for the starting issue...The car didn't start right away when I bought it, but it would after one or two turns. Now I sit for almost a minute before it finally revs.

Final Thoughts:
Could a bad TPS connection cause the starting issue, the intermittent lack of acceleration, and the stalling at low rpms? Just wondering if the jacked up wire could cause all of these problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aside from what I mentioned in my orignal post (pulling codes, checking out and replacing TPS, checking plugs and coils) nothing. I am (obviously) not a mechanic, just know what I read.

Anything I should check that may cause all of the symptoms?

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,692 Posts
-CEL is on and throwing P1121, P1115, P1624
P1121 KIA - Throttle Position Sensor Signal Invalid

Possible causes
- Throttle Position Sensor harness is open or shorted
- Throttle Position Sensor circuit is open or shorted
- Faulty Throttle Position Sensor

When is the code detected?
If the difference between actual and calculated value exceeds threshold value, the ECM judged this as a fault and DTC is set.

P1115 - Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor Circuit Intermittent High Voltage/IAT - B Circuit High Input

Possible causes
Open circuit in the harness.
Sensor signal short to power.
Improper harness connection.
Damaged sensor.
Damaged PCM.

P1115 Description
Indicates the sensor signal is greater than the self-test maximum. The IAT2 sensor maximum is 4.6 volts.

P1624
MIL Request Signal from TCM to ECM.

The above issues may/may not require parts..
The use of a CODE READER is redundant, what you need is a LIVE DATA SCANNER and the ability to use a DVOM to trace circuits...

Do you have any evidence of rodent damage on any harness?? ..... Philip

·
Registered
2000 Sportage 4x4, 1997 & 1994 Honda Civics
164 Posts
I had similar sputtering and stalling issues. after many tune ups, checking ignition, vacuum and fuel systems, Kia nor my local mechanic could find the problem.
Turns out the local auto shop at the community college found a bad TPS wire in 10 minutes. Replaced it an problem solved. They didn't even charge me. Wish I would have gone to them first.
Check your TPS wiring harness or wires, it may be your problem if you have eliminated and diagnosed all other systems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts