Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Sportage
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WELL. . . looks like 'she' has a top of the tank fuel leak.
At 3/4 & less tankfull it stops the external gas smell so I'm assuming the leak is at the top.
Anyone have a good idea what I'm in for if & when I take this tank down? Pictures would be nice.
Anyone have a used tank that will fit this '99?

TANKS!
FM

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX
4,526 Posts
A brand new tank from kia is $164.00, from any Kia dealership in the USA.

·
Registered
118 Posts
if its anything like the issue we have the flange that the sending unit bolts it is all rusted up and it wont seal. cheap fix is to put rtv sealant on there but idk how well it would work. best fix would be get a new tank. as for how hard it may be idk have not done one yet.

·
Registered
Sportage 2.0 Ghia
9 Posts
Just done my tank

Hi, this is a UK based Kia, so may differ from yours. I had to remove tank guard as it had corroded badly. Ended up having to drop the tank. I worked with car up on ramps to aid access.
Disconnect battery to prevent any sparks whilst working on the tank. From under rear seat lift carpet section over pump/sender unit. Disconnect electrical connection then remove cover.
It should be possible to check if leak is coming from here - on mine the two pipes coming up from the flange corroded and one leaking, requiring a new pump unit.
2 hose connections from fuel pump - both pipes sheared off on mine. From over RH rear wheel, access hose clips for tank filler and vents. Parting filler hose will be easier as tank is lowered.

From underneath remove 2 nuts and bolts securing guard and 4 bolts securing tank - altogether, 2 to the rear, 4 to the front. All the tank bolts sheared on mine, requiring the spot welded nuts to be forced off once tank removed. If tank is being renewed this will not be necessary, of course.

If another pair of hands are available, tank can be lowered by hand, otherwise lower on a jack.

Don't forget all usual safety precautions when working with fuel. The above is simply a description of what I did and is not intended as an instruction.

Good luck, Steve

·
Registered
1999 Sportage
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've removed a few American fuel tanks, mechanics and safety are understood.
Every car is a little different and this is my first Non-US car.
As for imports, I'm partly green but should not be a real issue.

Any and all suggestions help no matter how obscure. Never know ahead of time what to expect, unless one asks, and that can forgo any major problems, headaches and extraneous expletives.

Knowing these imports are made of thinner "X" STUFF, it's expected parts will not be easily salvaged. Just reading about the two, "2 hose connections from fuel pump - both pipes sheared off" I will expect that to happen so parts availability will be looked into before starting this job.

THANKS!!! . . . I really-really do appreciate your input.
FM

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,692 Posts
Before you go yanking the tank. Have you considered renting/borrowing a smoke machine and running smoke @2psi into the gas tank?... Philip

·
Registered
1999 Sportage
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Smoke machine? That just adds to the overall cost, not gunna do that.

I took my extension mirror and a flashlight and looked at the top of the tank. It's seeping from a rusted seam by the pickup tubes. Also poking around the tank top with an ice pick, it's really soft. Way to soft for even the thinnest of sheet metal. :eek:

So we ordered a new tank. 120+tax+ship $132.45

As usual for me, I'll probably go a little overboard and rustproof the tanks outer shell.
Any advise on newer products other than basic undercoating?

Thanks for the help.
FM

·
Registered
1999 Sportage
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After installing the new tank several weeks ago, ALL is well.
Really not to big a job. ONLY bad thing I encountered were frozen mounting bolts.
It's a REAL shame the OEM didn't put little grease on the threads, would have not snapped off the heads. CHEAP is CHEAP i guess.
Drilled out the broken studs and did the Nut/Washers/Bolt thing.... works just fine. YUP, i greased them up. ;)
Total with IL. tax for the StealerShip tank, $178.+ small change. Found out there cost was $132...... <_<
Got lucky, didn't break anything else. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts