Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, so I have a 99 Sportage EX 4x4, and the transmission will shift manually, but for some reason if you put it in drive it seems to be stuck in either 3rd or 4th gear.

I "fondled" the little TCM box under the console with no luck, and I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem, or possibly a place to start. I have no diagrams or anything, so I am unsure of the diagram for transmission controls.

I also don't want to just blow the money on the TCM if its not the problem. The only thing I haven't done is get under it, but I will be checking connections there tomorrow.

Not sure if it matters, but on the dash where the L, 2, D, N, R, and P light up, the "D" doesn't light up when you put it in drive. The rest light up normal, and a mechanic told me that he can't communicate with the TCM, but I wasn't sure if that was possible in the first place.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2000 Sportage EX 4x4 A/T, 2008 Harley Davidson Nightrain
184 Posts
D not showing on the dash sounds like a burnt out light. For something simple to check, make sure the HOLD function is not engaged. You should have a HOLD light on your dash if it's on, but that light may be burnt out also. The HOLD button is the smaller button just under the transmission shifter button.

If HOLD is engaged when trans is in D, it will stay in 3rd gear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have a hold light, but like you said if its burnt out who knows. I hit the button a few times with no luck, and I jiggled the connections on the TCM whild driving, sitting still, etc. Also, the 4x4 light no longer comes on either. Maybe I have an electrical problem or something.
I am trying to find a diagram for vaccuum and electrical because I would really like to stop shifting manually.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts