Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay well i just got done replacing the alternator. (finally figured that out)

now i have the squeling noise (which is the belt) when i start up the car, turn on the ac/ heat, or defroster. when i turn the car on,it will go for about 30 seconds then stop, and sometimes when i stop at the light it will make the noise, but soon as i leave off the break and give gas it stops...... I tried tighting/losening the belt... Could this be the Power steering pump? that is what someone told me....Or they said it could be something with the new alternator that i put in, ( it was brand new)..thanks guys

·
Registered
138 Posts
On a new belt usually this is b/c of the belt not being tight enough. I hope you have changed both belts, if not the other one might need to be changed too. The PS, alt bearings could make a noise too, but in your case I think the belts are loose.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The tightness is defined by the amount that the belt goes down when you push on it. I am not sure if that's what you meant by twisting it. You have to have a repair manual for the specific play, but I would say 9-10mm should be fine. Just tighten it and try starting again and see if the noise is gone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts