Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Afternoon! I just found this website and am excited about learning more about my little car. I know it's not the most expensive, posh ride out there...but it's mine...and I'm very proud of my little car.

I've had very few problems (knocking on my head) with my little car. The things that are breaking are due to a lot of wear. I am ashamed to say I know very little about working on this car. Most all other cars I've owned I've known how to do basic repairs...not on this one.

Can someone guide me to fixing the outside door latch on this model car? The senario is this - you can open the door from the inside, but not from the outside. When you pull on the handle to raise it up to open the door, it just comes up and doesn't do anything - like it's not even connected to any mechanisms inside the door. How can this be repaired? Is something typically broke when this happens? Are dealer parts necessary?

Any advice is appreciated. ;)

Thanks!
tarisad :liebe011:

·
Registered
car
4,209 Posts
Yes it can be repaired. You will have to remove the interior panel on the door to see what has unhooked/come apart. Not sure how your door panel is set up thought so I cant tell ya how to take it off. Prolly some clips or plastic screws holding it on though. Good luck.
Oh ya welcome to the site too. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for responding Spec! I appreciate it greatly! I love my little car and hope that through careful attention, it'll keep going to 200,000 miles. I'm at 84,000 now (it's a 1999 Sephia) and I'm really proud of how well it has performed. It's not the fastest, most powerful, chic ride on the road...but...I LOVE it!

I plan to put new seat covers and wheel covers on her after the first of the year. :banana:

Also, the CV joints - I've heard they go out at 100,000 miles -is that true? How labor intensive is it to replace them? Could I do it myself or should I hire someone to do it?

Thanks again!

tarisad

·
Registered
126 Posts
To Sephia owner from another 1999 Sephia owner! You won't necessarily need new CV(constant velocity) joints at 100,000. Their lifespan has a lot to do with driving style. Don't give the car a lot of throttle until the front wheels are pointed straight ahead. When the wheels are turned the CV joints are at their weakest and most vulnerable to wear and breakage. Also go easy over the bumps while accelerating. Take this advice and the cv joints will last the life of the auto. speedster1

·
Registered
126 Posts
Also repairing and replacing the cv joints is a labor intensive job that requires specialized skills and tools. It is NOT for the beginner. Make ém last. speedster1

1 - 5 of 5 Posts