Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i am hoping someone on here can help me. I am sure this has been beat to death, but i am at a loss. My son just bought his first car and it is a 1999 Kia sephia 1.8l. We drove it home, everything is fine, i put my scan tool on it and it shows no codes and has a green readiness light. So we drive down to get the emission and safety done and when the tech gets into the car it has a check engine light on for misfire in cylinder #4, great, so we fail, so we reset the code and start driving to get the emissions to cycle and the engine light comes on again, long story short, we have replaced the plugs, swapped the coil packs, swapped injectors, changed the fuel filter, sprayed starting fluid around intake to check for leaks, checked compression it is about 155 lbs, I dont know what else to try, My son got a job earned enough money to get this car and now its not going as planned, i want this to be a good experience for him, does anyone have any other ideas to try or has fixed this issue on one of these cars. Any help is greatly appreciated, Bruce!!

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
Plug wires breaking down and mis-firing?
Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Number 4 has a coil pack on it, I switched out the one that is on 2 and still hsve the code. So i would think it would have jumped to 2 if the coil was bad.

·
Registered
1997 Kia Sephia, 1988 Toyota Supra Turbo, 97 Civic.
55 Posts
maybe the plug wires are going bad, i've heard a burned exhaust valve, collapsed lifter (i think) or a bad head gasket can also cause a miss, but if the compression tests out okay then i wouldn't worry about that, check for intake manifold leaks, or a injector seal leak. wish i could help more, good luck.

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,129 Posts
Replace plug wires. Done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts