Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Kia Sephia, 1987 Oldmobile Cutlass Ciera SL
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(Automatic Tranny)

Driving down the interstate, all of a sudden, drops from 4th gear into third. Father (Who drove the car before me), said its happened a few times, and that it just needed to sit. Drove rest of the way in third (Had 100 miles to go), let it sit. After turning it back on, and it still not working, tested, and I could put it in 1st manually, it works. Put it to 2nd manually, immediately jumps to third, just as if I put it into D. Transmission has 115K miles on it.

Error codes:
P0743: Torque Converter Clutch Electrical System Malfunction
P0748: Pressure Control Solenoid Circuit Electrical
P0753: 3-4 Shift Solenoid/Transmission Relay Circuits
P0754: 2-3 Shift Solenoid Circuit Electrical
P0763: Shift Solenoid C Electrical

Now, as for how cars work, I never had the time to learn how everything meshes together. So if you want to do some explaining, I would greatly appreciate it. Otherwise, I do have quite a bit of experience working on vehicles, and the patience to learn to replace parts as I go. Bottom line, does anyone have suggestions on fixes, or at least what the issue may be that caused all of these to happen?

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm faceing the same problem on my kia sephia 2001. but till now not yet fixed the technicians said that, it might be clutch discs slip and need new tranny. good luck

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,127 Posts
I'm faceing the same problem on my kia sephia 2001. but till now not yet fixed the technicians said that, it might be clutch discs slip and need new tranny. good luck
Well since you know your way around a car, check out Kia Global Information System (KGIS)
Its free to sign up and you can trouble shoot those codes on that site. It will walk you through what to look at. This is preaty much how the dealer would work with those codes. I don't know transmissions much myself, but hope that link helps you.

·
Registered
1999 Kia Sephia, 1987 Oldmobile Cutlass Ciera SL
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, what it ended up being is that I played "Footsy" with the car while driving down the road. After going through the manual, and trying to locate my PCM that it said was under my center console on the ground, I found that it was up above where my feet rest when I'm driving. Since I don't have cruise control, I sometimes allow my feet to fidget.

Apparently, the toe of my shoe caught the metal latch that keeps the PCM plugged in, and knocked that loose, causing rough starts, no tranny, and a few other issues. Thanks for the help all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts