1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1998 KIA SPORTAGE 2 wheel drive 2.0 LITER , AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I have a 98 kia sportage automatic 2 liter
the car is surging and not getting enough gas it seems..it does it intermittently and almost stalls..
I changed the fuel filter ..it was dirty and clogged and car ran fine for whole day and now its surging again (like you are giving it gas, then letting up and repeating this )..
OXYGEN SENSOR CODES PO134 and PO135 heater bad..new O2 sensor heater is open after I ohmed it...so brand new precat sensor must be bad..dont know ..other O2 sensor code says NO ACTIVITY

would the sensor codes make car run horrible?
any help appreciated
I put new gas in..maybe bad gas??? not showing any other codes
Thank u stay safe from Covid

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Or junk *rust in the tank, clogging up the new filter. Has it sat for awhile?

IIRC there is a "roll over check valve" on the back frame, tank-side also: that s/b checked to see if the metal bracket has deteriorated / that the valve isn't restricting fuel flow.

Hope the info is helpful, and you & yours are staying Safe also.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Or junk *rust in the tank, clogging up the new filter. Has it sat for awhile?

IIRC there is a "roll over check valve" on the back frame, tank-side also: that s/b checked to see if the metal bracket has deteriorated / that the valve isn't restricting fuel flow.

Hope the info is helpful, and you & yours are staying Safe also.
HI do u have apic of this check valve and exact location? I cant find it..thanks what does this roll over valve do?

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
It's to prevent fuel from reaching the motor in event of roll-over, I don't have a pic, but have attached the FSM page for the valve, it should help to zero in on location. ... Called the "Check and Cut Valve".

* IIRC, it's on the upper frame: the tank may have to be dropped, to access it.

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It's to prevent fuel from reaching the motor in event of roll-over, I don't have a pic, but have attached the FSM page for the valve, it should help to zero in on location. ... Called the "Check and Cut Valve".

* IIRC, it's on the upper frame: the tank may have to be dropped, to access it.
HI Gotta I didnt have any roll over..why do u suspect the check valve is bad?? pray tell..also I cant find out where my 1998 KIA SPORTAGE fuel pump is..do u know exact location and how to remove if I need to? thanks And No the car has not been sitting for some time..i keep getting the same bad o2 codes

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Sorry for the delay in reply hookie. Very busy week here.

Suspect the check valve / "roll-over" valve based on past experience w/ the Sportys in the 'rust belt' here: if the valve's bracket to the frame is rusted or broken: the valve 'hangs' down, and will restrict -> cut fuel flow from the pump to the motor, depending on how it's positioned / if the bracket (valve) is not properly attached to the frame.

* From what you have written, and depending on how long that old gas sat in the tank: it could also just be bad / poor fuel or sediment ( rust, water, etc. ) in the tank that was 'stirred up' when you added new fuel.

If that is the case: you may be looking at another fuel filter ( or two ) after cleaning the tank up.

I saw that Steve answered your question about the location of the fuel pump access in the rear cargo area of the Sporty: under the carpet flap, in the rear cargo area.

--
If you are getting a P0134 code, recommend inspecting the upper ( upstream ) O2 sensor wiring, to make sure it hasn't contacted the exhaust manifold / and affected (melted) the O2 sensor wiring, going to the engine harness.

Hope this helps. Regards, GottaCrusie

·
Registered
2001 kia Sportage 4wd automatic gasoline.
1 Posts
Hello
I have a 98 kia sportage automatic 2 liter
the car is surging and not getting enough gas it seems..it does it intermittently and almost stalls..
I changed the fuel filter ..it was dirty and clogged and car ran fine for whole day and now its surging again (like you are giving it gas, then letting up and repeating this )..
OXYGEN SENSOR CODES PO134 and PO135 heater bad..new O2 sensor heater is open after I ohmed it...so brand new precat sensor must be bad..dont know ..other O2 sensor code says NO ACTIVITY

would the sensor codes make car run horrible?
any help appreciated
Check and see if the Cat converter is obstructed.

·
Registered
02 Sportage, 95 Trans Am, 05 Crossfire, 04 Venture
273 Posts
The o2 wiring is a mess on these things. I was constantly having o2 issues that the previous owner never solved. I cut the connectors off and wired in 2004 Dodge Caravan connectors and o2 sensors. Never had a problem since.

I highly doubt that cat is plugged. I hear that a lot. Usually it's a P0420 in that situation and typically it's something simple like a dirty MAF or rich condition that sets off a high reading on the downstream o2.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you..was bad MAF

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry for the delay in reply hookie. Very busy week here.

Suspect the check valve / "roll-over" valve based on past experience w/ the Sportys in the 'rust belt' here: if the valve's bracket to the frame is rusted or broken: the valve 'hangs' down, and will restrict -> cut fuel flow from the pump to the motor, depending on how it's positioned / if the bracket (valve) is not properly attached to the frame.

* From what you have written, and depending on how long that old gas sat in the tank: it could also just be bad / poor fuel or sediment ( rust, water, etc. ) in the tank that was 'stirred up' when you added new fuel.

If that is the case: you may be looking at another fuel filter ( or two ) after cleaning the tank up.

I saw that Steve answered your question about the location of the fuel pump access in the rear cargo area of the Sporty: under the carpet flap, in the rear cargo area.

--
If you are getting a P0134 code, recommend inspecting the upper ( upstream ) O2 sensor wiring, to make sure it hasn't contacted the exhaust manifold / and affected (melted) the O2 sensor wiring, going to the engine harness.

Hope this helps. Regards, GottaCrusie
Hi Gotta thanks for your help as always...replace upstream 02 sensor and MAF and all good...many thanks! It will only work if I install a Walker 02 sensor.Other 02 sensors throw a code..don't know why~

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Dunno either hookie - the Sportage ECM is finicky as to which O2 sensor is installed. Glad to read it's fixed, Congrats on the repair. (y)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts