Kia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1998 KIA SPORTAGE 2 wheel drive 2.0 LITER , AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ~ I posted on here earlier and cannot find my post, so here goes again. I most likely offended someone as my caps were locked...sorry but my keyboard locked up.

Anyway..once again. I think my Rear Main Seal is Leaking..not sure..it's a 1998 Kia Sportage SUV automatic..

I hate to pay to have the tranni droppped (@$800) ...are there any sealers that work or can anyone give advice on what to do here.

One guy told me whenI called the tranni shop not to add any sealers as they can damage other seals inside the tranni.
Other people told me to try ATP-AT-205 Resealer.

Appreciate any advice [email protected]
Thank You~

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,422 Posts
So you think your rear main seal is leaking?
Before doing anything, you really need to get the vehicle up on a lift at a good garage, and have the leak properly identified!
I might be something simple, or not.
Just guessing and asking for advise won't help correct or identify the leak.....
Good Luck!!

Reactions: Markfothebeast

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you think your rear main seal is leaking?
Before doing anything, you really need to get the vehicle up on a lift at a good garage, and have the leak properly identified!
I might be something simple, or not.
Just guessing and asking for advise won't help correct or identify the leak.....
Good Luck!!
Hello yes a garage checked it today and said it was rear main seal..:( any advice?

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,060 Posts
If it is the main seal, then the only option is to replace it - there's no sealer that will work, and if any claim to work, its snake oil.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,422 Posts
At 23 years old it may not be worth fixing, unless you really love the vehicle and plan on keeping it as a historical piece.
Most folks with your issue just remember to add oil at every fill up and park over cardboard to soak up the drips.
I'm afraid the cost to repair exceeds the blue book value of your vehicle, which makes it a 'no fix' issue.....

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Still wish I had a Sporty here. I'd pony up $800 for the fix. ... Having done this, that's actually not a terrible price for the repair, given hourly shop rates these days.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
OP stated $800 just to drop the trans. Still lots of labor hours left(cost) to drop the oil pan and R&R the rear main seal.....

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
OP stated $800 just to drop the trans. Still lots of labor hours left(cost) to drop the oil pan and R&R the rear main seal.....
Missed that, Thanks Lou O. ... Figure about double then. That I'd have to think about, for a minute or three.

Then I'd do it anyway. 😄

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got a real decent price from my mechanic i've known for yrs..so may have it done....the seal and gasket were cheap on ROCKAUTO .might be worth fixing as we have a lot of new parts in it
thanks everyone!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts