Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.... My name is Karen and I am a new member. I have a couple of questions that I was hoping you all could offer opinions or advice on.
I own a 1998 Kia Sephia. The car was running rough (hesitating while I was driving it), and the check engine light came on, so I took it to AutoZone, and they did a free diagnostic check for me. The code was P302, and the guy told me that this meant that cylinder 2 was misfiring. He told me to replace the ignition coil, but before doing that I decided to replace the spark plugs and the spark plug wireset, as this was a cheaper fix, and as a single mom, I chose this option to start with. So I removed the cover and replaced the first spark plug and wire, and then upon changing the second spark plug and wire, I noticed that both the spark plug and the wire were covered in oil, which I replaced anyway. I drove the car around the block and although it seems to run a little better, it is still "hesitating"...So I then did some research online and learned that Kia Sephias are known for the valve cover gaskets to leak/seep oil into the spark plug chamber, which can cause the car to misfire. My questions are -
1. If the valve cover is seeping oil into the spark plug chamber, is there a way that I can tell without taking it to a mechanic? Is it easy to fix myself? If it isn't something that I can do, how much roughly would a mechanic charge me to fix it?
2. If it isn't the valve cover gasket, what else could it be? And how can I tell what it is? (Someone mentioned to me that it could be oil control rings or valve guides and seals) What are these and does my car even have them?
3. I was told by the guy at AutoZone that 1998 Kia Sephias only have two spark plugs, which I found odd... Are there 2 other spark plugs located under the ignition coils? And if so, when I replace those, should I also replace the ignition coils just to be on the safe side, or should I wait until it misfires again?
Any and all comments, ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as I said, I am a female, and I am attempting to repair the problems myself to avoid being "taken for a ride" by a local dishonest mechanic.
Again, thank you for your time.... :)

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,127 Posts
Its the valve cover gasket mine did the same.... Get it from the dealer only. (dealer only part). cost is around 50 for the gasket....
You would have to take the valve cover off to replace.. If you feel confirtable enough its not to hard....
If brought to shop it should take an hr or less so they charge you 1 hr labor.

There are 4 plugs. the other 2 are under the coils... If there isnt a misfire detected without changing the coils then dont change as the coils are well over 100$..
Hope this helps. if ya have any other questions feel free to ask..

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1fastkia -

Thank you so very much for your advice....... I removed both of the ignition coils today and replaced the 2 spark plugs, and the car runs awesome !!!! Almost as if it was brand new - what a HUGE difference!!
I also thoroughly cleaned spark plug chamber #3, (yet again, replacing the spark plug just to be on the safe side) and I noticed that the backside of the valve cover gasket does appear to be "seeping" oil, so I will order the part this week from a local Kia dealer, and I will attempt to replace it myself after first having a "6 pack of courage" ...lol. By the way, are there any "specific" tools I will need?
I did find a local mechanic who told me that he would replace the valve cover gasket for me today (Sunday) for $50.00 - and when I explained to him that the valve cover gasket was a "dealer only part" .. he told me that he could make me a valve cover gasket using silicone....he attempted to assure me that this was just as good as buying the valve cover gasket from the dealer...I immediately refused his offer of assistance because I want to buy the correct gasket and replace it the right way, rather than do it half azzed or mickey moused.
So, again, I want to thank you...this site is the best : I will definitely check back often for tips and ideas, as my 1998 Kia Sephia currently has 110,000 miles on it, and the only other things that I have had to replace were the brake pads and the tires....and I regularly change my own oil every 4000 miles.
Thank you so much...... have a great rest of the weekend :D

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,127 Posts
first having a "6 pack of courage" ...lol
LOL thats where id start... no specific tools just have a 10MM socket and a 12MM socket. Might have a little trouble getting out the PCV valve but just pull out and it will come.. lol.Of course after moving the hose clamp on it.

Dont do the silicon gasket. it will not last long at all...

Change that oil every 3K. its recommended at this mileage and i aso do rec it....

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Again, thank you for your tips and advice, and I will change the oil every 3,000 miles from now on...... :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts