Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Kia Sephia
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had the same problem as me my sephia's engine light and O/D light are flashing I went to autozone and had the codes read they read vehicle speed sensor, TCM Malfunction, and gear 2,3,4 ratio incorrect is there anyone here that might have had the same problem and if so how did you correct this I am a do it yourselfer and would like to know how I could fix this problem.

Thanks in advance for any and all your help to everyone on the forum...... :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,121 Posts
sounds like it might be a sensor or 2 or 3??? dunno though.

·
Registered
1998 Kia Sephia
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 1fastkia,

The strange thing is that every time I disconnect the negative battery terminal it erases the codes but when the engine light comes so does the O/D light at the same exact time each and every time I disconnect the battery after 15 or 20 minutes.

·
Premium Member
6,121 Posts
try disconnecting neg, then getting in car and turning on lights and hit the brakes. It releases any stored energy.

·
Registered
1998 Kia Sephia
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks I will give that a try over the weekend any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I replaced the vehicle speed sensor in mine and it helped for a few minutes but its right back to the same thing. Engine Light on and OD flashing. While the car is still drivable, its not getting good mileage and I just really hate something that doesn't work like it should. Its in for a replacment Evap core right now but when I get it back, I'd like to try and track down the problem myself before going back to a mechanic on it. In one forum, Fastkia said that the only path it takes was from the sensor to the ECU and then to the Cluster. If you read this, can you tell me where the ECU is located? I plan on tracing the wiring and checking for any loose connections.

·
Registered
1998 Kia Sephia
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:grin: Thanks to everyone that replied to my post all your suggestions were very helpful I'm going to try to replace the Vehicle Speed Sensor I am curious though how much is it and where is it located because mechanics in New York are Vampires.

Once again thanks to everyone who replied It's great to know you have people that will help you out.

Thanks Again To Everyone :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Originally posted by ajv411@Jun 22 2005, 12:31 PM
:grin: Thanks to everyone that replied to my post all your suggestions were very helpful I'm going to try to replace the Vehicle Speed Sensor I am curious though how much is it and where is it located because mechanics in New York are Vampires.

Once again thanks to everyone who replied It's great to know you have people that will help you out.

Thanks Again To Everyone :thumbsup:

On the 1999 1.8 liter, its located under the air filter housing. Unplug the connector and use a 10mm wrench (no clearance for a socket) to take it out. It has just enough clearence to be removed. I replaced mine but still read the code for it and the speedometer still jumps. Going to try and trace the rpoblem myself. I've been told it may be a connector.

·
Registered
1998 Kia Sephia
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:57: Hey Brutass,

Thanks for the tip I'm going to try that this weekend I was going to do it last weekend but ended up having to replace my starter did that this weekend and it's starting great now no more grinding noise but I'm going to check that sensor this weekend.

:thumbsup: Thank to everyone for all your help and any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated :57:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, I know this is an old thread, but it really hits to the point of what I'm facing. I have the exact same thing: O/D flashing, Check engine light on. Sometime it clears it's self after a few days, other times I clear it and everything is good. I believe mine to be the speed sensor because the car still shifts through all the gears, including overdrive, but my speedometer falls off and bounces around. It seems to get triggered on any hot day that I drive the car over a few miles. On a cool morning, I can drive forever and it won't happen - weird huh?

For those of you who replaced the speed sensor - how'd it go?

For everyone else, what if anything fixed this problem?

I can't seem to find any schematics on-line for my Kia, anyone have any so I can look at what I'm getting myself into?

1998 Kia Sephia LS 1.8L w/AT

·
Registered
126 Posts
Replying to Kia malfunction on hot days when engine warms up. I would think that this woould indicate a intermittent failure inan electronic component. Have you had a scan tool put on it? That would be the way I would go(but their not infallible-need to be interpreted). I have a '99 Sephia 5-speed and have never had this problem. I did have a intermittent miss but Fastkia pointed me to the negative battery terminal and it was corroded. Once cleaned the problem so far seems solved! Try fastkia he's knowledgeable. speedster1

·
Premium Member
6,121 Posts
the ecu is under the dash on the floor behind the radio...

for the person with this problem its hard to help unless you get the code the car is throwing.

·
Premium Member
6,121 Posts
Do that it is free.. I bet a lot of us will be able to help you after!

·
Registered
1999 Kia Sephia
2 Posts
On my 99 sephia its doing the same thang man..... so I need help on that one too

·
Registered
1998 Kia Sephia
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got the job done.

I wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions I replaced the Speed Sensor and that fixed the problem right up.:cool:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have read a few post on speed sensors and have located a manual that said it is in the wheel hub (front and back). I have also read that those are the wheel speed sensors and that there is a seperate vehicle (speedo) sensor. I was told (after a $80 diagnostic) that it is my vehicle speed sensor. I need to replace it and don't want to spend the $90 more that they say it will cost me. Can someone please tell me where it is located and where I might find an aftermarket one?
cheers,
Matthew

·
Registered
1998 Kia Sephia
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I hope this helps

I went to autozone and the Speed Sensor only cost me $ 35 dollars and ten minutes to install it was located under the air filter housing on top of the transmission. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts