Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Sportage 4x4
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Front axle lock ring on outboard end of axle keeps being forced off, allowing axle to slide inboard and out of hub resulting in loss of 4wd. Have replaced ring and washer behind it and cleaned groove in axle. Not sure what the fix for this is considering replacing axle? Anyone have any ideas or had the same problem?

·
Registered
02 Sportage 4x4...66 Shelby GT350...70 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler
196 Posts
Front axle lock ring on outboard end of axle keeps being forced off, allowing axle to slide inboard and out of hub resulting in loss of 4wd. Have replaced ring and washer behind it and cleaned groove in axle. Not sure what the fix for this is considering replacing axle? Anyone have any ideas or had the same problem?
It has been awhile since I had mine apart, but the washer should have tangs that go in the axle slot, and then over the locknut, or; there is a key that goes in the axle slot to keep the nut from turning. Take a look and see what component is there to secure the locknut.

·
Registered
1998 Sportage 4x4
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Front drive axle, half shaft what ever you want to call it, sorry for the confusion its not the axle stub that the wheel bearings reside on. Anyway basically the failure of the spring clip allowed axle to move inboard destroyed the needle bearing and seal in steering knuckle and bearing race on axle is fubar. I put new spring clip on to hold it in place until I have time to replace the axle, bearing, seal, and might as well put another new spring clip for good measure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts