Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I nearly ran out of fuel near home, it was jerking and surging. Anyway got fuel but now wont idle and runs rough at low revs. in fact when you pull up it just stops. also the check engine light stays on. it use to come on from every now and then, always has but now stuck on.
just want it to run great again.

To fix this is what iv done.

1 new fuel filter and injector cleaner in fuel
2 disconnect battery to reboot

still not right........but it had a moment when i first put the filter on and started it that it ran great for 5 min but went back to running rough again..duh

my thoughts....has to be fuel related as only started when ran low on fuel.

so dirty injectors?, fuel pump?. air in fuel line?

what do think i should do next and how????????

thanks

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,696 Posts
I would think you should run over to your local parts store and download the code associated with the CEL, post it here so we have something to go on... Philip

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
please just give me your suggestions

I have tryed to get codes but i cant get them done anywhere here in Australia(I Have rang auto parts stores, and even kia dealers)

still having problem...
The car starts fine and idles fine at first(30sec) then surges and runs rough at idle, even turns off sometimes but esp when warm.

the car runs fine, well not fine there are a couple of flat spots but the main problem is the idle.

Would o2 sensor cause this issue, heard it said that o2 sensor kicks in after temp gets to certain level????.....maybe thats why car runs fine for first 30 sec when starting from cold.

but.... problem started when run out of fuel so maybe clogged injectors?

Any thoughts on this would really help, where would you start.

i must add it starts easy, and on highway runs fine but soon as you slow down to a stop, rough and maybe stop.

please help with your knowledge.....

·
Registered
Kia Sportage A/T 4WD 1997
91 Posts
You have to get the code then it's easier for everybody to help.
If you have a 20 pin DLC then you can short the terminal to have the CEL blink to at least get some clue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes i'v tryed.....

On my car there are no diagnostics port inside car, but is one under hood near air box, it has a cap that say diagnostic.

I shorted the plug with a paper clip, got a tiny spark, and the CEL went off, no blinking nothing. Came back on as soon as i drove it around the block. but the car behaved the same the whole time.

no blinking.....seen many other posts of Australian owners of Kia Sportages who have trouble getting codes, you cannot buy a reader that suits and Kia gives no support.

i understand its easyer if you have a code, but i cant get one!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Which terminal to which terminal did you shorted it?
You have to switch on the ignition and wait for the CEL to blink.

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,696 Posts
In short mate without info we are guessing. Anecdotal information is redundant (was running OK before..)

Having said that, when cold the ECU checks the ECT and the AIT, it then supplies fuel in an enriched state to accommodate a cold start..

As the engine heats the ECT sensor report to the ECU and the ECU reduces the fuel pulse to achieve a stoic 14/1, fuel/air ratio.

At idle the IAC is commanded to supply adequate air to maintain an idle at spec..

In order to accomplish this task the ECU gathers info from the ECT, MAF and O2 sensors, then regulates the air and fuel...

Now in order to diagnose your issue, we need to first ensure that the fuel supply is OK,, Connect a gauge to the fuel supply line and report back the pressures at:

• Cold, key on, engine off..
  • key off, any drain back??.
  • engine running at idle,
  • engine running at 2000rpm..
Remove the MAF, clean with CRC cleaner, this ensures a correct air mass reporting to ECU..... Philip

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok. Yes I will do those things straight away and thank you your reply was much appreciated.
And a great explaination..... Thank you again.

Um regarding what I did to try and get codes...

I turned the ignition on, the CEL comes on like all the dash lights do. But then turns off after 3 seconds.

I then got a paper clip and put one end in the end hole of the plug socket that says "diagnosis" which on my model is under the hood and comes out of the MAF wire loom. I then cross the other end of the paper clip to the last hole of the plug, it did short as I get a tiny spark. For a short while the CEL stayed off on start up after doing this but defiantly no blinks.

I will follow advise given though and report back.

So sorry for lack of info but I am really trying

Cheers

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ok. Yes I will do those things straight away and thank you your reply was much appreciated.
And a great explaination..... Thank you again.

Um regarding what I did to try and get codes...

I turned the ignition on, the CEL comes on like all the dash lights do. But then turns off after 3 seconds.

I then got a paper clip and put one end in the end hole of the plug socket that says "diagnosis" which on my model is under the hood and comes out of the MAF wire loom. I then cross the other end of the paper clip to the last hole of the plug, it did short as I get a tiny spark. For a short while the CEL stayed off on start up after doing this but defiantly no blinks.

I will follow advise given though and report back.

So sorry for lack of info but I am really trying

Cheers
You have to short it before you switch on the ignition.
Which mean:
short the DLC -> key on -> wait the CEL to blink & record it down

1 - 9 of 9 Posts