Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just purchased a 1997 sportage. Upon getting it running, I found a few electrical problems: only one headlight works( the bulb is fine) none of the windows work, the windshield wipers don't work, the heater/ defrost wont come on. I checked all of the fuses under the dash, only one was bad. Any ideas?

·
Registered
'96 Camry v6 XLE, '00 Camry LE
2,174 Posts
Was there any evidence of rodent intrusion in the engine compartment or passenger cabin when purchased?

Or "aftermarket" items (stereo equipment, aux. lighting, etc.) added to the stock electrical system?

Both headlights and windshield wipers are in the steering column switch assembly - would loosen the driver's knee airbag assembly and lower (do not disconnect!) , to gain access to the column switch connector and check that.. if here.

re: heater/blower: rodent nesting is not uncommon, so would pull / remove the blower, and test, using a 12v power source to make sure the blower motor is working, as a first step.

Hope this helps.
Regards, GottaCruise

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gotta cruise, there was evidence of a mouse nest in the glove box, but no damage to wires so far. There is an aftermarket stereo installed, I was thinking maybe somebody grabbed a wrong wire? Somebody has had the motor and transmission out before, and the main wire loom is pulled out of the fire wall a little. There's also a plug in under the steering wheel that somebody made a jumper for, not sure what is supposed to plug in there. Thank you for your suggestions!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gotta cruise, there was evidence of a mouse nest in the glove box, but no damage to wires so far. There is an aftermarket stereo installed, I was thinking maybe somebody grabbed a wrong wire? Somebody has had the motor and transmission out before, and the main wire loom is pulled out of the fire wall a little. There's also a plug in under the steering wheel that somebody made a jumper for, not sure what is supposed to plug in there. Thank you for your suggestions!
Update: the issues were caused by the ignition switch sticking slightly between "On" and "Start" as for the headlight, the right one is notorious for shorting out/melting, which was the case for me.

·
Registered
'96 Camry v6 XLE, '00 Camry LE
2,174 Posts
Glad to read you got it sorted out there, well done, Congrats on the repair.

There is a ground point directly behind the right headlight, under the plastic cover in the fender wall at the front - you may want to clean up that ground point, also the one by the left headlight / down by the coolant overflow tank, IIRC. (Both are involved w/ lighting system ground, may save you some trouble down the line.)

·
Registered
2002 Kia Sportage
24 Posts
About a year ago, when I went to replace the left headlight bulb on the wife's 2002, instead of the bulb being bad, I found the plastic connector to be, not so much melted, but just deteriorated and not all there; investigation showed the right connector to be even worse.
Having already done so on all of our trucks, I put the headlights on relays, such that the bulbs get full alternator voltage, instead of the 10-volts that were coming through the wimpy factory system.
I replaced the damaged connectors with ceramic connectors that have 14-AWG wires; I would have gotten 12-AWG if I could have found them.
Having the headlights on relays removes all headlight amperage draw from the wimpy factory system; all the factory switch and wiring does now is to activate the relays; the relays and much larger wiring, 12-AWG except for the few inches at the pigtails, provide the current to the lights.
Now, instead of having to walk around front to determine that the lights are indeed ON, she can see into the next county.
It will be even better when I can figure some way to get rid of those ignorant faded-out plastic light diffusers and replace them with some real sealed beams.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts