Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a '97 Kia Sephia 5 speed, and it idles very low. When I am idling with the air conditioner on high it will stall. I have asked a few people about this and they have told me that there is usually a screw near the throttle that you can turn to increase/decrease the gas flow into the engine. One of the people have also told me that some cars do not have this screw and the only way to change the idle point is to bring it to a mechanic and have them do it for you. I was wondering if I would be able to change the idle point on my car, or if I would have to bring it to the mechanics to have it done. If I can do it myself, where is the location of the screw used in this and how much should I turn it?

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
The screw just holds the throttle open and makes the ECM think you are giving it some gas. It's located at the throttle body. You should be able to see it near the end of the throttle cable.

You need to know though, this isn't really a fix. Theres a reason the car isn't idling, and it's not because the screw isn't turned in far enough. It should work, but it's more of a band-aid than a repair.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What would be some of the possible problems that could cause this, and how expensive are they to fix? I mean, could it just be a bad fuel injector or would it be something more important and more expensive to fix?

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
Not ONE injector, but if they were all getting some build up, then that could cause it. Carbon build up in various places could cause it, low fuel pressure, etc... There are a lot of reasons, but without being able to see it I'm just guessing.

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sephia
93 Posts
Yeah that's the hard part about helping people on forums, you can't see the problem you can only read and visualize it. :eek:fftopic:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts