Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Sportagers, my "95" Sportage is leaking water.. Its dripping ( a lot) right out of the bottom of the timing cover. Yesterday I pulled it all apart and replaced the old hard water pump gasket. I gooped it with sealant. It still leaks.. So... maybe its the water pump shaft ?? I shook it forty ways from tuesday. Its tight.. No slop at all.. Still I question its the possible source of the leak.. So any water leak experiences you have encountered in that area for me to investigate will be greatly appreciated..

Thank you ..
Clancy..

·
Registered
2-2000 1-2006ALL SPORTAGES also 96 dodge van to transport dogs and 84 gmc snow plow.
340 Posts
Pressure test your coolant system 12/14 psi and check for leaks. Water pump bearing may be good but the seal may be bad. Also check freeze plugs for leaks, cracks in the pump itself . Its a easy test and will give you a starting point. Keep in mind the single over cam an the dual over overhead cam engines use different water pumps.
chief

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,692 Posts
If you continue to have issues locating leak, add some florescent dye, run until there is some sign..... follow the bright trail...... Philip

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello Cheif and Aquanaut, Thanks much.. Sure do wish I had thought of that pressure testing idea when I had it apart.. Probably that pump seal.. I will be diving in again.. this time i will re-attach the top radiator hose and apply water and a little pressure to see what squirts..
Thanks again..

Clancy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey kib theres a 4" rubber hose under the throttle body on the passenger side and its really hard to get to without either taking the throttle body off i got it off but it took me a long time and alot of twisting my hands and body i think you can get to it if you take the starter off but 3days before i changed it and had to cut the battery try to get it out so i was done with that its the stupidist design i`ve ever seen i`m betting thats your problem i had a leak and couldn`t find it until it burst then it was still hard as hell to find good luck and get some long arms and small hands

·
Registered
2000 Sportage EX 4x4 A/T, 2008 Harley Davidson Nightrain
184 Posts
+1 on the water pump bearing seal. Had that happen on the wife's car. Replaced just the gasket thinking it was the culprit, but it was still leaking afterwards.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts