Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Kia sportage Eax
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am working on a 1995 sportage ex and it wont start. The previous owner said it was the coil harness and I replaced that (was definitely bad) but it still isn't starting. If I spray some starting fluid it fires right up for about 3 seconds then dies. That tells me it is a fueling issue. It has a new tank, pump, and filter with fresh gas. It's there a way to tell if the injectors are firing? What sensor controls the injectors? Anything else I should look for? TIA.

·
Registered
1995 Kia sportage Eax
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
With it being a 1995 Sportage the engine is NOT an interference type engine...
My first guess would be teeth missing on the timing belt allowing the timing to shift... If the cam and crank sensors do not match (timing wise) there will be NO fuel injected...

Another fairly common problem is a damaged shear pin located on the crank shaft behind the crank shaft bolt... The crank shaft pulley (harmonic balancer) would need to come off to "see" if the shear pin was damaged... If the shear pin is damaged then the crank and cam timing will also be off... The key way cut into the crank shaft may also be damaged and may require some fancy welding and grinding to recreate it...
Dave

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan, 17 Ford Edge Sport, 15 Mustang, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,695 Posts
I would measure the fuel pressure at the injector rail - not sure on your model, but many have a schrader valve for that.
You could loan a gauge from AutoZone.

·
Registered
1995 Kia sportage Eax
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think timing would be an issue since it runs on starting fluid. The spark timing would be off. Also I don't see a spot to check the fuel rail pressure.

·
Registered
1995 Kia sportage Eax
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since it is obd1, I don't have the ability to plug in my diagnostic tool to check sensor read outs. I'm thinking that the injectors are not pulsing. What triggers them?

·
Registered
1995 Kia sportage Eax
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Making some progress. It now starts but has a rough idle. After about 2 min it will stall regardless of RPM, almost like a cutoff.

·
Registered
'96 Camry v6 XLE, '00 Camry LE
2,173 Posts
I don't think timing would be an issue since it runs on starting fluid. The spark timing would be off. Also I don't see a spot to check the fuel rail pressure.
You would need a fully equipped fuel gauge pressure set, with longer fuel banjo bolt / and adapter to hookup the pressure gauge to the fuel rail - that's how the Kia techs did it IIRC,

Or, you "could" cutoff the fuel pipe adapter from the top of the -old- fuel filter, use some high pressure fuel injection hose, a "T" fitting, and insert / T-into / hookup the pressure gauge to the fuel system immediately above the filter to measure fuel pressure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts