Kia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento LX I4, 2012 Chevy Avalanche Z71
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my Sorento LX at the end of February. At the time, we had just bought a Chevy Avalanche and I was looking to keep payments low. So, I settled on the LX with a sticker price of $25,700. I have been extremely happy with the Sorento! So much so, I decided to look into seeing what the possibility would be to trade it back in on an EX model.

I stopped by the dealer where I bought it and told them what I was looking to do. My Sorento has 3k miles on it. For trade in, the max they offered was $18k. This made the new payment way too high and so I passed on the deal.

My Kia with only 3k miles on it is still practically brand new. I also have added factory running boards and fog lights to it. I realize those don't up the value much, but should still be factored in.

So, is $18k really about all I should expect as trade?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento
140 Posts
I was recently offered $13K from Carmax for a 2011 Sorento AWD LX in mint condition with 74,000 highway miles (I'm a traveling rep). That was more than I expected.

I also flip-flopped on whether I wanted the sorento at first, over a Jeep Grand Cherokee and about 15K miles in I was also offered 18K. So I would say yes, your offer is a good one and remember that the second you drive it off the lot, it is worth at around 30% less.

The sorento has one of the highest resale values and safety values in its class. It's a solid vehicle and the offer sounds reasonable.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for weighing in... I suspect with the rebates and discounts it is probably fair. Just a shame I couldn't go EX at the start and to lose sooo much right off the bat.

·
Registered
I now drive a 2020 Ram Bighorn. Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,524 Posts
Sell it PP.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I bought my Sorento LX at the end of February. At the time, we had just bought a Chevy Avalanche and I was looking to keep payments low. So, I settled on the LX with a sticker price of $25,700. I have been extremely happy with the Sorento! So much so, I decided to look into seeing what the possibility would be to trade it back in on an EX model.

I stopped by the dealer where I bought it and told them what I was looking to do. My Sorento has 3k miles on it. For trade in, the max they offered was $18k. This made the new payment way too high and so I passed on the deal.

My Kia with only 3k miles on it is still practically brand new. I also have added factory running boards and fog lights to it. I realize those don't up the value much, but should still be factored in.

So, is $18k really about all I should expect as trade?
I traded my 2011 EX V6 FWD for a 2012 Toyota Highlander Limited V6 4WD and got $21,500. Had about 18,100 miles on it when I completed the deal. Owned it 23 months on the 16th of this month. Anyway initially I was offered $19,000 for it by Toyota and negotiated up from there. Thought about replacing it with a Sorento SX and was offered $21,500 by Kia and then seriously considered a Ford Edge Limited and was offered $23,000 by that Dealership. I think what you are being offered may be okay, but I would check KBB and Edmunds to get an idea. Also, take it to CarMax for at least an appraisal. You don't have to sell it to them. In my State of Ohio I save the sales tax that I would otherwise have to pay on whatever I get on the trade. So at $21,500 with a tax of 6.75% I would have to get an additional $1451 from CarMax to even make it worth selling to them. Personally you are really taking a huge loss by only owning it for a few months. I would try to keep it a couple more years.

·
Registered
I now drive a 2020 Ram Bighorn. Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,524 Posts
I attempted the CarMax route here in California. They offered half of what it was worth. I did not sell it. I then went online and found they were selling the same car for double what they offered me. That car was in excelent shape with lower than normal miles for a 3.5 year old car. I sold it PP and got more than I owed on it. CM may work for some but it was not a viable option for me.

Just my story.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do plan on keeping the Sorento now for a long time. I knew it was a long shot to try to get out of it so quickly. My son will be driving in 4 years (God help me), that might be a good time to upgrade and let him use the LX.

I hate to ask, but what does PP stand for above?

·
Registered
2012 Sorento SX V6 2WD Titanium/B&D leather
309 Posts
I do plan on keeping the Sorento now for a long time. I knew it was a long shot to try to get out of it so quickly. My son will be driving in 4 years (God help me), that might be a good time to upgrade and let him use the LX.

I hate to ask, but what does PP stand for above?
Private party would be the most logical guess.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Cadenza SXL Smokey Blue/white
359 Posts
Around 19 if AWD is what I would shoot for if I were to try to trade it in. That was based on inputting a little data on KBB. You should do the same on Edmunds, Carmax and Black Book and get an average. All will be somewhat different.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts