Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 SX
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to activate a DRL function on these vehicles? Surprised they don't have it from the factory.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
621 Posts
Nothing I know of on my 2020 Sorento SX. It's mentioned in the manual, but since their top of the line trim didn't have it, I'm assuming that it wasn't available for US vehicles. I know they have them in the Canadian market.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX 2.0T AWD
1,590 Posts
Is there a way to activate a DRL function on these vehicles? Surprised they don't have it from the factory.

Thanks!
No via OEM feature. A long time ago, I built a module that makes the led strip (also known as positioning lights) work as DRLs.

·
Registered
16 SX
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No via OEM feature. A long time ago, I built a module that makes the led strip (also known as positioning lights) work as DRLs.

I saw this post, I am not into building anything, if I can;t do plug and pray, it'll stay stock, but thanks!

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento SX, 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Tech pkg. Former 2014 Kia Rondo EX Luxury,
368 Posts
Nothing I know of on my 2020 Sorento SX. It's mentioned in the manual, but since their top of the line trim didn't have it, I'm assuming that it wasn't available for US vehicles. I know they have them in the Canadian market.
This thread had me confused since it popped up. So in the USA, the yellow LED strip is not your DRLs?

·
Registered
621 Posts
What yellow strip? Are you talking about this white strip below the headlights? It only turns on with the headlights unless the ignition is off when you turn the headlights on. However, in normal daytime driving it's not on. AFAIK, there are no DRL provisions on my car.

They also don't mention them on the window sticker.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento SX, 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Tech pkg. Former 2014 Kia Rondo EX Luxury,
368 Posts
What yellow strip? Are you talking about this white strip below the headlights? It only turns on with the headlights unless the ignition is off when you turn the headlights on. However, in normal daytime driving it's not on. AFAIK, there are no DRL provisions on my car.

View attachment 118834

They also don't mention them on the window sticker.

View attachment 118835
Yep. My 2020 has a yellow strip below the lights where your white strip is, that is on as a DRL. Here is a screenshot of a Canadian 2020 review where you can see them in action:

From my manual:

·
Registered
621 Posts
DRL's are required in Canada, so that's likely why you have them. Since they're not required in the US, many current models apparently don't have them. As to why they aren't included on my Sorento, I guess only Kia can answer that question. :)

·
Registered
368 Posts
DRL's are required in Canada, so that's likely why you have them. Since they're not required in the US, many current models apparently don't have them. As to why they aren't included on my Sorento, I guess only Kia can answer that question. :)
Yeah that's what I meant earlier :) . I didn't realize that DRLs were not required in the US, until this thread. I was confused as to why the OP was asking how to get them working, as I assumed they would have come that way from the factory.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I fooled around with all the positions of the light switch, just in case. I can manually turn on the eyebrows, they're considered the parking lights. However, that's not automatic, when you drive at night, you have to turn on your headlights. If you don't remember to leave just the parking lights on when you park, you have no more DRL.

Considering they already have the lights, it would have been a no-cost option for them to just turn those on anytime the headlights were off. A few lines of code for the ECM and we'd have them!

·
Registered
368 Posts
I fooled around with all the positions of the light switch, just in case. I can manually turn on the eyebrows, they're considered the parking lights. However, that's not automatic, when you drive at night, you have to turn on your headlights. If you don't remember to leave just the parking lights on when you park, you have no more DRL.

Considering they already have the lights, it would have been a no-cost option for them to just turn those on anytime the headlights were off. A few lines of code for the ECM and we'd have them!
Or even an option to turn on in settings. The underlying code would still be used for Canada, just remove the option in settings with the default set to on.

Maybe there is an engineering mode/setting for it for US?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Those are the kinds of corporate decisions that befuddle me, why not have DRL in the US, many cars have had them here for years!

If there's a setting for it, it's well hidden and also not mentioned in their manuals. ;)

·
Registered
2018 Sorento LX 2.4 FWD; 2009 Borrego LX V6 RWD
239 Posts
I was looking at the new '21 Sorento specs on their website the other day, and even on these new ones there is no DRL on the LX, S and EX. But on the K5, it's standard across the board. Weird decision on their part.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento SX
69 Posts
Yep. My 2020 has a yellow strip below the lights where your white strip is, that is on as a DRL. Here is a screenshot of a Canadian 2020 review where you can see them in action:
View attachment 118836

View attachment 118837
I have the same yellow strips that stay on all the time on my 2019 US-market SX trim with Touring package, so it's not Canada exclusive. I think it came with the LED headlights that were also standard on the SX_L trim that year. I believe Kia calls them Positioning lamps too.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento SX
69 Posts
They dropped the LED dynamic bending headlights on the 2020s, I think. The yellow DRLs were paired to those.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have the LED headlamps, so I guess that explains the yellow strip on my 2020 SX.

·
Registered
621 Posts
The 2020 SX came with halogen headlights, I had to upgrade mine. What that has to do with the ability to have DRL's remains a total mystery!

·
Registered
368 Posts
The 2020 SX came with halogen headlights, I had to upgrade mine. What that has to do with the ability to have DRL's remains a total mystery!
Haha yeah, I guess the yellow strip comes as part of the OEM LED package. Sounds like the USA SX model came with less features than the Cdn one. I saw a lot of that with the 2021 Sorento options over in their thread...didn't realize it was a thing with the 2020s.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento SX
69 Posts
See the below screenshot of SX Touring package from 2019: It explains that the Daytime Running lights were paired with LED headlamps.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks!
I bought a 2018 Sorento SXL and no DRL. I explored youtube and found several ways to install them, simple if you have basic electronic knowledge. Inexpensive to purchase, I ordered them from Wal Mart. not E-Bay or Amazon. Now finding time to install them. The ones that I purchased has the amber running turn signal. Presently I am using to parking lamp as a DRL. These lights are LED lights and are bright enough to be seen in daylight.
Charlie Kay
Anderson, S. C.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.