Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started & drove fine yesterday. Sat in our closed garage since about 2 PM yesterday, through the overnight (no doors ajar, no lights on). Went to start earlier this morning, hear a clicking noise when turning the key in the ignition. Dash lights, cabin lights, headlights, media console, etc. all turn on just fine. The system check that is performed at every start found no issues. Multimeter found battery to have sufficient current flowing through. FIL recommended jumping just in case that was the issue, but that changed nothing. Our limited knowledge, troubleshooting using the manual (section 6|4) and Googling points to either a spark plug or bad starter (or starter connection). Is there anything I could DIY on this? I've changed an upstream O2 sensor on my Spectra before, so I'm not totally clueless, but definitely need some direction about what and where I should be looking, and am in something of a bind since it's Sunday and literally no repair places I could even tow it to today are open until 7am Monday.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
896 Posts
I doubt that you measured starting current with your multimeter. Voltage, perhaps?

The clicking is a good clue. Has to be the battery or a connection problem on the battery end or down to the starter somewhere.
Since trying to jump start it didn't get you anywhere (assuming the clamps were properly placed), likely the problem is down the line a bit further. A weak battery situation would have responded to the jump, and bad contact at the battery posts was eliminated if you properly placed the clamps.

Don't assume it's the + side -- could just as easily be a ground.

But just for fun, have someone else try to start it while you are measuring voltage across the cable lugs (not the adjacent battery posts) and tell us what voltage you see WHILE attempting to start the vehicle.

Spark plug makes zero sense for this set of symptoms, so don't bother going there.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6
793 Posts
Keep in mind that a multi meter does not tell the story on a car battery.
You need at least 12.7 volts but also need a load tester.
If the battery has gone bad, a jump start may not work.
Some of the lithium jump starters have a boost mode to overcome a totally dead/bad battery. Try to get hold of one of them.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
896 Posts
That's why I have him testing voltage WHILE someone is trying to start the car. The starter makes a nifty DIY 'load tester'. Looking to see if the voltage drops below ECU minimums during cranking, among other things. Granted, as the load repeatedly hits and drops out every few 1/10s of a second or so, it won't be a rock solid reading, but should provide some useful information.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6
793 Posts
Too technical for me. I have the Harbor Freight load tester.
I think it only puts on 100 AMPS, but that will tell the tale.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
896 Posts
No, not too technical for you at all, though your HF tester is perhaps a bit more useful in general. What I was recommending is actually one of the functions of your HF unit, using the starter itself as the 'load'.

When attempting to start the vehicle, the starter pulls down quite a bit of current. That causes a measurable decrease in battery voltage - it will decrease SOME regardless of the battery condition, but it drops a whole lot more if the battery isn't up to the task (cold, tired or just discharged). So while someone else tries to start, if you are measuring the voltage across the battery, you'll see whether what remains is actually enough to even support the ECU, much less start the car. I prefer an old analog meter for that job (I like the fact that the HF unit uses one), but a digital VOM often tells enough if it updates quickly.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX V6 AWD
462 Posts
Started & drove fine yesterday. Sat in our closed garage since about 2 PM yesterday, through the overnight (no doors ajar, no lights on). Went to start earlier this morning, hear a clicking noise when turning the key in the ignition. Dash lights, cabin lights, headlights, media console, etc. all turn on just fine. The system check that is performed at every start found no issues. Multimeter found battery to have sufficient current flowing through. FIL recommended jumping just in case that was the issue, but that changed nothing. Our limited knowledge, troubleshooting using the manual (section 6|4) and Googling points to either a spark plug or bad starter (or starter connection). Is there anything I could DIY on this? I've changed an upstream O2 sensor on my Spectra before, so I'm not totally clueless, but definitely need some direction about what and where I should be looking, and am in something of a bind since it's Sunday and literally no repair places I could even tow it to today are open until 7am Monday.
Thanks!
Did you ever figure this out? It does sound like you just needed a new battery. I have a 2016 LX so I'm curious about the solution (in case I run into this behavior down the road). Thanks.

·
Registered
Sorento 2015 LX 2.4 AWD, Suzuki 2011 SX4 AWD, ( 2000 KIA Sportage, junked)
390 Posts
,,, It does sound like you just needed a new battery. ...
My doubt, but i'd like to know also...a 3 or 4 year(a 2016 can date from spring 2015) old battery, unless abused, is still good. My 2015 (dating from May 2014) still runs solid on the original, and we have winter here. And rmadd should update and add all details about the car in his signature, mileage, engine, AWD?, etc.....

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6
793 Posts
My doubt, but i'd like to know also...a 3 or 4 year(a 2016 can date from spring 2015) old battery, unless abused, is still good. My 2015 (dating from May 2014) still runs solid on the original, and we have winter here. And rmadd should update and add all details about the car in his signature, mileage, engine, AWD?, etc.....
Nope. Had a Honda Civic that had the battery replaced twice in three years. First time under warranty.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
896 Posts
Off topic - but set a personal record about a month ago. Couldn't get wife's 2009 Grand Caravan started. Realized it still had the factory battery in it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts