Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to get anybodies thoughts on which size rims & tires to replace the factory metal rims. I'm assuming that the 16" rims & tires would be quieter, right? If not, I would prefer the 17" rims & tires for aesthetic reasons then.

I think I have also narrowed it down to 3 rims that I like but I'm having a hard time deciding on which ones to get. Tell me what your thoughts are on these 3 are please? The colour of my Forte is bright silver & wonder if the rims that have a black lip would look better or not.... I really would hate to get the rims on and not like them... :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussing wheels can bring on varied opinions so you should make the decision based on what you like, not what others think.

I do not know how involved the engine management system is on tire size (hopefully someone else can shed some light on this). 2 things to remember -- if the tire size is used by the engine management system then you need to keep the overall wheel diameter/circumference as close to the original size as possible AND the larger the wheel the smaller the tire sidewall to accomplish this. Shorter sidewalls make for a harsher ride, a lot more road feel, but probably better overall handling.

·
Super Moderator
6,807 Posts
KIAOwnerX3 is right regarding harsh ride. To keep the same radius, you have to go to lower profile. So, now 15" is 195/65x15, if you go to 17, you will have to put 225/45x17 (like OEM 17") or 255/40x17 :) but this one will not fit :)

Anyway, engine does not care what tires you put on, as long as diameter is fine (all these 3 have pretty much the same which is 634.5, 634.4, and 635.8 mm accordingly).

Remember about offset.

And last thing. IMO - F10 looks the best. At least on the picture...

·
Registered
164 Posts
KIAOwnerX3 is right regarding harsh ride. To keep the same radius, you have to go to lower profile. So, now 15" is 195/65x15, if you go to 17, you will have to put 225/45x17 (like OEM 17") or 255/40x17 :) but this one will not fit :)

Anyway, engine does not care what tires you put on, as long as diameter is fine (all these 3 have pretty much the same which is 634.5, 634.4, and 635.8 mm accordingly).

Remember about offset.

And last thing. IMO - F1 looks the best. At least on the picture...
Not that I want to contradict you, but OEM size is 215/45/17 :p

·
Super Moderator
6,807 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
hmmm, I do not know what to say.
You are right, and you are not at the same time.
Kia Cars, SUV, Minivans, & Future Vehicles - Kia Motors America

In USA is 225, while in Canada is 215. I was referring to my location.
And, IMO - 215/45x17 is too small. Due to change from 225 to 215 you loose 28 mm of circumference...
Hmmm? The U.S. Forte brochure says the SX has 215/45R17 tires. Is that another mistake in the brochure like the reference to an 'iron block'?

·
Super Moderator
6,807 Posts
Hmmm? The U.S. Forte brochure says the SX has 215/45R17 tires. Is that another mistake in the brochure like the reference to an 'iron block'?
so I have no idea now.
If you follow the link you will see that SX is equipped with 225. It could be a typo on KIA website...

·
Registered
407 Posts
Kia's press release and every other source I've read (except Yahoo Auto) states that the SX tire size for the Koup/Sedan is 215.

Errors do happen.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Everyone that I've spoken to at Sears, NTB & others say 215/45-17. If not I'm in trouble & it's gonna look like a Tonka truck... Wish me luck because I've already ordered them! I should have them by Monday the 14th.

However it turns out, I'll post pictures. Maybe I'll get some laughs out of it. :p

·
Registered
45 Posts
KIAOwnerX3 if you go to 17, you will have to put 225/45x17 (like OEM 17")

Remember about offset.
Not that I want to contradict you, but OEM size is 215/45/17 :p

The Kia Motors Official Site says the standard tire size for the Forte 2.4L SX is 225/45R17.

And since all three trims have the same BODY & CHASSIS and track (front/rear) dimensions, I believe that the 225/45R17 tire mounted on a 17" rim with the correct offset will fit just fine in any of these trims fender wells.

Tires specifications

Track (front/rear) specifications

·
Registered
407 Posts
The Kia Motors Official Site says the standard tire size for the Forte 2.4L SX is 225/45R17.

Since Forte drivers report that the cars they own have 215 tires (e.g. see #7 above), I suspect we can conclude that the Kia site contains an error.

The differences between a 225 and a 215, however, are not significant...only .39 inches treadwidth and less than 1% in circumference.

Nokia...what size tires are on your Forte?

·
Registered
46 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Since Forte drivers report that the cars they own have 215 tires (e.g. see #7 above), I suspect we can conclude that the Kia site contains an error.

The differences between a 225 and a 215, however, are not significant...only .39 inches treadwidth and less than 1% in circumference.

Nokia...what size tires are on your Forte?

My wife's 2010 Forte EX has the 195/65R15 OEM tires.

I'm planning on a +2 wheel/tire package upgrade and I'm sure she won't object to it. I'm thinking of the 225/45R17 tire.

I did my research using Kuhmo tires specs and this is what I came up with:

According to the above chart, the overall diameter difference between the OEM tire and the replacement tire is .1" (insignificant effect on the speedometer). The difference in section width is an inch. This is where the replacement wheel's offset comes into play.

There is this Wheel Offset Calculator site which calculate the inner clearance and outer position for you based on your current wheel specs and the replacement wheel specs. I need to distribute that 25.4 mm of increased tire width between the inner clearance and outer position.

First, I have to determine the offset of the 5.5JX15 OEM rim (anybody there know?). I still yet have to get around dismounting one of the wheels and take measurements. I need those measurements to come up with the offset of the replacement 17" rims, then go shopping for a new set.

This will work. I now know how to get the data to help me make an educated decision in choosing the rim with the correct offset to make it work.

Nowhere in any Kia literature tell you that you can't fit a 245/45R17 tire in a 2008 Kia Optima LX but I did it, with no help from tire/wheel experts because they'd say you can't do it. With trial and error though. And here's the proof.:cool:

NokiaParkingUser

·
Super Moderator
6,807 Posts
they look even better on real car than in the demo... good choice

·
Registered
15 Posts
Oh, the 225s fit technically but it didn't look good. Tires should not be jutting out on the sides IMO :p

ps: I think that's a mistake on the Kia site...

Actually my rims and tires fit perfectly flush with the fenders. The angle at which I snapped the shot gives the illusion that they stick out just slightly. The tire has nothing to do with how far it sticks out and is solely based on the offset of the rim. I mean you certainly couldn't put anything wider than a 225, it wouldn't fit inside your wheel well without rubbing something when you turned the steering wheel.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had 3 flat tires when I woke up today. :huh: I have to order new sensors that fit the wheels properly but I'm gonna talk to the Kia service department and see what they say. I think that the original sensors should fit.
With one sensor not causing a leak tells me the tire tech :unsure: who transfered the sensors from your old rims into your new rims did not do a good job. The original sensors should fit.

NokiaParkingUser

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
With one sensor not causing a leak tells me the tire tech :unsure: who transfered the sensors from your old rims into your new rims did not do a good job. The original sensors should fit.
I agree with you on this also. Why would they not fit. I had 1 tire hold pressure while the other 3 didn't. :confused:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts