Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 LX+
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

When I bought my 2012 Kia Rio5 LX+, i obviously took a test drive, and tested out other models. When I purchased my Kia, they had to order another one in from another dealership as they didn't have the colour options I was looking for.

About a week later, i picked up my newly delivered Kia Rio. (the dealership is about 40 minutes away from where I live)A few days later I started hearing almost a whiney/growling noise and right away thought to myself, damn that sounds like a wheel bearing!

Anyways, as I'm busy with work, and never really in the area where the dealership is, I eventually took in the vehicle with just under 5k kms on the car. I mentioned and specifically said, the wheel bearing in my drivers side is making a funny noise. The dealership did everything I asked, oil change, oil filter, took my car for a test drive and everything. They came back to me and said one of your tires was over pressurized which was causing the noises.

So, I was happy with the news as I thought I was just worrying too much. On the way back home, I could still hear the noise...rather pissed off at the time they didn't spend much time looking at it even though I gave them 2 days notice that I needed it looked at, a day later, the HR department sent an email to me asking how my first service was.
I replied back saying, the service was fine, and completed on a timely manner....but the main problem I went in for, was not taken care of.
I kind of let things slide, as it must not have been a big deal to them....maybe I was over exaggerating?

....to this day I've never heard back. LUCKILY a brand new dealership opened up in my home town. A few days after it opened, I went in to schedule another appointment for my car (oil change, tire rotation etc.)) around 14.5k on my odometer. When they asked if that's all I can help you with, I piped up, actually yeah...I told them about the noise, and asked a mechanic to take it for a drive to see what he thought (never bringing up what happened at the other dealership).
Within an hour, my service was completed and turns out my front drivers side wheel bearing was to blame this whole time, and the front passenger side was apparently just starting to make a little whine, so I have an appointment to have 2 new wheel bearing put in for me under warranty on tuesday!

ANyone else have the same problem with their wheel bearings early on?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
I know the earlier KIA RIOs had problems when the front bearings wore out and replacements were improperly installed. The proper installation required what was called pre-loading on the bearings...requiring a hand selected "shim". If the shim was wrong then the pressure on the bearing was too high and the bearings could fail at extremely low mileage (under 1000 Miles)... I'm not sure if they still use this type of bearing in the newer models but it sure sounds like someone dropped the ball at the factory... I'm glad it happened at a low mileage where the dealer would not question it and that you got a good tech the second time around...
Keep us posted on your outcome..
Dave

·
Registered
2012 Rio 5 Lx
17 Posts
I know the early fortes had issues with the way they were secured during shipment to the states. They were lstrapped in and it flattened out a portion of the bearing enough that they would fail shortly after delivery to the customer. The price of the car also covers a pre delivery inspection to be done on the vehicle including a road test. It is crazy that they let things like that through.

Nice to see another user of Ubuntu Dave :)

·
Super Moderator
6,866 Posts
Now "if" I could only get on kiatechinfo.com without using a "windoz" computer I'd ditch Microsoft fast... No "Blue Screen of Death", No viruses/malwear/trogen horses....and no need for anti-virus software.

My Desktop is running Ubuntu and my laptop Kubuntu/Windoz.

Ubuntu/Kubuntu boots much faster than MS and shuts down the same way...FAST!
I just had to recover my minister's XP and my wife's "7" laptop computers from Microsoft's last "Important Update" that FROZE both machines...

I keep a dual boot laptop for the times I have to provide support and KIA's tech support site... Most of the time it's running Linux.

Most people don't know how really good (and FREE) this OS software is.
Dave

·
Registered
2012 Rio 5 Lx
17 Posts
My Toshiba Satellite is setup to dual boot Ubuntu/windows. I still need windows for accessing some of the systems my college uses as well as the Kia tech info site.

I used Fedora in high school, but once I graduated I ran out of time to dink around with Linux so I stopped using it for a long time. It is only recently that I have had the opprotunity to play with newer distros. I was on medical leave from my job for two months because I was having unexplained seizures. So I did what any bored nerd does and worked on all of my computers lol.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
Never thought I'd say this to a "Super Moderator" but, let's try to stay on topic shall we. :D

Now "if" I could only get on kiatechinfo.com without using a "windoz" computer I'd ditch Microsoft fast... No "Blue Screen of Death", No viruses/malwear/trogen horses....and no need for anti-virus software.

My Desktop is running Ubuntu and my laptop Kubuntu/Windoz.

Ubuntu/Kubuntu boots much faster than MS and shuts down the same way...FAST!
I just had to recover my minister's XP and my wife's "7" laptop computers from Microsoft's last "Important Update" that FROZE both machines...

I keep a dual boot laptop for the times I have to provide support and KIA's tech support site... Most of the time it's running Linux.

Most people don't know how really good (and FREE) this OS software is.
Dave

·
Super Moderator
6,866 Posts
I also have a Toshiba Satellite (M105-S3401) 2006 with 2GB Mem, T2500 Dual core, 360GB HD... Resurrected from near extinction.. (had broken LCD display,bad battery, no A/C supply).. It's been a great/reliable work horse. I'm a "nerd" from many years before you were born. (I'm 63). I've been a hacker for many years. I also played with Linux about 7yrs ago and got serious with it about 4 yrs ago.. I like it's stability and the freedom from attacks. Just getting comfortable again with CLI over the past year and starting to get "brave".... I switched Ubuntu from "unity" GUI back to "gnome"...I hated the desktop interface.. Windows7 is the best Microsoft has made in years but I doubt if I'll ever use Windows8 it's UGLY!
I hope you got your seizures under control and life has begun to improve for you...
Dave

·
Super Moderator
6,866 Posts
marleyfan61..
There is a key on your computer called "page down"...
You should try it sometime :)
I give hours to this forum and at times need to have some human interaction.
Dave

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
Just havin a little fun with ya. No harm intended. I have often been the king of getting of topic and have been reminded by a number of moderators. Saw my chance to throw it back at a mod and took it. All in good fun.

marleyfan61..
There is a key on your computer called "page down"...
You should try it sometime :)
I give hours to this forum and at times need to have some human interaction.
Dave

·
Super Moderator
6,866 Posts
I sometimes get off topic with no intention of doing harm..
No foul on either of or parts...
Dave

·
Registered
2012 Rio 5 Lx
17 Posts
It was not my intention to jack this thread lol.

The seizures are controlled now, and everything is much better. thankyou :)

I have left unity up for now as my girlfriend uses my pc from time to time when her laptop is not near. It has a bit more in common visually to her macbook so she can navigate her way around.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 LX+
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol getting back on top[ic, my new wheel bearings were put in free of charge.
Fixed the problem, and the service I received the whole time from this new Kia dealership was FANTASTIC! Very very pleased.

·
Super Moderator
6,866 Posts
Be sure you put the dealers name and location in the Good Guys /Bad Guys area so other will know that dealer is the one to frequent.
Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts