Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Cerato LX
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

I've acquired a 150W 2 Channel amp, but I'm not really sure on what I can run off it. There are 2 x left outputs and 2 x right outputs, can I run all of my car speakers through this ie 2 x front, 2 x rear and beat box? Also on the power side I have 3 connectors Batt, Ground and rem. I figure that Batt is for the 12v supply and ground is pretty self expanatory, but what is the Rem for? Do I need to connect anything to this?

·
Registered
94 Posts
You can use it to power all your speakers, but you'll lose fader control if you do (fade from front to back). If you have a sub, it'll likely be quite distorted unless the amp has a seperate output for the sub....

The REM line is the remote amp signal line - most newer decks have this so they can control turning the amp on and off. You don't need to connect to this, but if you have a deck that supports it, you might as well hook it up. It'll stop hiss from the speakers when your deck is turned off, and loud pops when turning the deck on or off.

Devin

·
Registered
2002 Kia Spectra
17 Posts
You could keep your fade but lose balance. Hook the front speakers to one channel and the rear speakers to another channel, thats what I would do. You would have to use the balance controls on your head unit, but it should give you fade control. I would rather be able to control fade than balance. I think this would work for you. Anybody disagree? I wouln't want to be giving out bad advice.

If you don't use the remote line, it is possible to drain your battery if the car is not used for a while. It's not likely this will happen unless the car is not used for long periods of time.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If you hook your front speakers to one channel, and your rear speakers to the 2nd channel, you'll have a really weird sounding system. Instead of being stereo from left to right, it will be back to front - so it'd sound almost monotone. :)

·
Registered
2004 Cerato LX
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice guys, but it looks like the amp is duff, can't get it to power up at all :(

·
Registered
94 Posts
Most will have a fuse, usually close to where the DC input is. Check to make sure it's good or else it won't power up at all. Make sure to replace it with a fuse of the same type and amperage!

What brand and model is this amp? We've been conversing about it without asking! :)

Devin

·
Registered
2004 Cerato LX
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've already checked the fuse and it's fine. The amp is a SPAX SPLA150

·
Registered
94 Posts
Check the wiring harness for shorts. Also just give it a good smell, through one of the vent holes on the case. If it smells like burning wires, toss it as it's most likely been blown/shorted out. Take the case off, and use a magnifying glass and go through the whole top and bottom of the circuit board, paying particular attention to the areas around the power/input/output connectors. Look for any broken traces, cracks in the board, etc.

Hope that helps a bit!

Devin

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,127 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Cerato LX
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The remote wire isnt connected on the head unit. The wire comes out of the wiring loom but is just loose. Do I need to connect this wire to the head unit and the amp to make it power up?

·
Premium Member
6,127 Posts
yes connect the remote wire to the HU then to the amp... other wise there is nothing to turn it on with.

·
Registered
2004 Cerato LX
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There are a bunch of unconnected wires on the head unit, should I have a remote in, and a remote out in there, or can I just split the feed from the wiring loom to feed the head unit and the amp?

·
Premium Member
6,127 Posts
there should be only 1 remote wire. No in and out just 1 wire.. If you dont want to go this route buy any switch just run a wire from the switch to the amp and when you wanna turn amp on turn switch on.....

·
Registered
2004 Cerato LX
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
forgive my obvious stupidity here, I have 1 remote wire from the wiring loom, I split this into 2 feeds, 1 to the HU and 1 to the amp...is that right?

I dont understand why/how this works.

I tried feeding the remote wire direct to the amp but that didnt work, there is no remote to the HU at the moment and that works OK, what is this wire actually going to do?

·
Premium Member
6,127 Posts
if the hu dont have a remote wire just use a switch.... put a wire on the power of the switch and run it to amp...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Good call 1fastkia, I never thought about the remote wire. :)

Rick, the idea is this:

Remember how in days gone by, when you turned on your head unit, you'd get a loud thump out of the speakers? This was because the amp was always on - and it had the potential to do some damage to your speakers especially. To solve this, the head units now have a remote line, that is controlled by the head unit. The head unit turns itself on, and when it is powered up it sends power down the Remote line to the amp - signalling the amp to turn itself on. So it'll be hooked up like this:

Head Unit "Remote" line --> Amp "Remote" terminal/line

If you don't have a head unit with a "remote" line, then you'll have to install a switch or relay to make it work - just connect a switch in line from your 12v power to your Remote line, and flip it on when you want the amp powered up.

Are you using this with the factory deck, or are you putting a new one in with this amp?

·
Registered
2004 Cerato LX
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The head unit has been replaced with a Kenwood, but the remote wire hasnt been hooked up. I dont have any problems with the head unit at all. Will the amp just not work at all without the remote wire connected?, or can I connect the remote wire to the head unit from the wiring loom and just use a block connector to feed the amp from the same wire?

I am sorry I must appear really stupid. Is something like below ok?

remote wire Head Unit

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm not 100% sure I follow you. Are you saying that your Kenwood head unit has no remote wire?

No matter what, hook up your amp to a power feed of it's own. Don't run it off the same 12V line in your wiring harness for your deck. Use good 4 or 8 guage wire from a spare spot in the fuse box or someplace else you can put the amp on it's own fuse with no other devices. This will ensure you supply the amp with all the power it needs without interfering with anything else. It's easy to do, and worth the extra time.

Devin

·
Registered
2004 Cerato LX
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry that diagram didnt look like that when I typed it in :blink:

I think I may see where I'm going wrong now.... I was splitting the 12V feed for the head unit, didnt realise they had to run from seperate 12V feeds.

There are a bunch of unconnected wires on the Head unit, one of which is the remote wire. What the diagram was supposed to show was the remote wire from the wiring loom going into a single block connector, then having 2 wires from the other terminal of the block connector, one to the head unit and one to the amp.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I guess I might have made it a little unclear. You most certainly can run the amp from the same 12v feed as your head unit, but it's much better not to, especially if you are running a large amp, especially without a cap.

That single unconnected wire REM coming from your head unit - all you need to do is connect this with a wire to the REM connector on your amp, and you're set. When you power up your deck, the amp will turn on. :)

Devin

1 - 20 of 23 Posts