Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amanti Compadres,
Do you think 15.5 MPG only city driving is OK?? NO gas pedal abuse, it is my wife car.

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
It shows on the Kia website it is rated for 17 mpg city and 25 mpg highway. Those numbers are always off a little bit. 15.5 mpg sounds about right. I have heard people getting about that with their Amanti.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:blush: OUCH!!! :blush: 2.40 the gallon today!!
USA!!!!! SHOW ME THE CHEAP GAS!!!!! LIKE 3 YEARS AGO.....

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
I hear ya. Thats why I traded in my 04 Sorento for a 05 Spectra SX because gas was just getting to high. Now Im paying $2.57. But ya I have heard the Amanit is a pretty heavy car. That doesnt help it out at all. I love the looks of them though.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Last 10 fill-ups= average of 18 MPG, mixed driving but subject to SF Bay Area terrible traffic conditions.........VERY LITTLE USE OF AIR CONDITIONING... But once in awhile I do get a 15 MPG fill up with the same consistent driving habits??? go figure?? :blush: One of the fill-ups in my 10 fill-up test above was a 15 MPG one :haha: ...BTW..$2.40 per gal is a lot less than the $2.78 I paid yesterday!!! :bwekk: ..so I quess you might as well get use to it :beer:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gentleman,
I was told by my KIA dealership that I should use premiun gas to get better mpg, since I bought the car I have been using Mid grade gas do you think using premiun will make a big difference.

I might have to cross the border to fill my thank in Mex. but do not worry, I'LL BE PREPARED :gunsmilie: :gunsmilie: :gunsmilie: :gunsmilie: :gunsmilie: :gunsmilie: :gunsmilie: :gunsmilie: :gunsmilie:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Go ahead and try it and remember to keep the forum informed regarding your results BUT :bwekk: I say the dealer is full of it...............I use the lowest octane (87) and car runs fine and have actually gotten as high as 23 MPG on some runs albeit this is not very consistent. The range varies from fill-up to fill-up and I'll be dammed if I know why????? :haha: but I really question the dealer telling you that as I still think is pure grab bag BS...........RUN YOUR EXPERIMENT AND LET US KNOW ...... :beer:

·
Registered
2007 Optima, 2007 Sorento
714 Posts
My dealer service manager says the Amanti should use premium gas and may be a part of the gas mileage problem. I own an Optima but plan on an Amanti in another year.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Do not believe EVERTHING the dealer tells you.........it does not make it so!!!!! Dealers all have a very large grab bag from which they can solve every problem...........just try out the suggestions and make up your own mind...that is probably the simplest way to measure the accuracy of what the dealer tells you.....when it comes to car dealers there is an old adage which applies here..."take what they say with a grain of salt" :57:

·
Registered
12 Posts
After two fills with premium I'm getting about 15 driving the car easy :(

Over the last two days I started driving a little harder and the mileage went down to 11mpg :angry: All highway driving at 80mph this car only got about 17.5.This is unacceptable for a brand new car with a V6.

My other car is a 97 Mercury Grand Marquis with a V8 and 106k on the clock. It gets far better mileage and has more power than the V6 Amanti. I'm getting about 16 in the city driving hard and 25 on the highway at 80mph.

Cheers,
Jim

·
Registered
2007 Optima, 2007 Sorento
714 Posts
Hi Black Hawk, lower gas mileage is a sore spot for many Kia owners. You can expect your gas mpg to improve over time. Before I brought my Optima I did some research on EPA projected mileage and what real owners were getting by visiting forums and chats. My Optima gets 27-30 highway mpg and is a V6 but much lighter than the Amanti and has a smaller V6. Kia Corp seems moving towards better engines and better fuel economy but that doesn't help you and others now. You still have a great car to enjoy. Hopefully things will improve with the mpg although it will never be great.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Last 10 fill-ups = 19.20MPG, mixed bay area driving, lots of congestion, highway average speed 75+......best fill-up 21.38...worst fill-up 15.73.........both averages are pretty identical driving situations........go figure :bwekk:

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
Run some fuel system cleaner for a few tanks and see if that helps you at all. Be sure to add it to the tank at the gas station before you fill it, then run the tank as empty as you feel comfortable.

If you use the cheap gas (any grade, Arco-type) this can hurt your fuel economy also, because A) it's "watered" down with ethanol, using more fuel to get the same power, and B) because it has a tendency to build up more carbon deposits in the heads.

There is a product called "Seafoam Motor Tune-Up" that does an awesome job removing the carbon deposits. It can also be used as a fuel system cleaner or crankcase cleaner, but I buy it for the carbon cleaning. To clean the carbon, it has to be added to the intake while it's running, so be sure you follow the directions and use less than a third of the can per treatment.

Also, 0-10mph is where the worst fuel economy happens. So the more you stop, and/or the faster you get going, the worse your mileage will be, though this may not be your case.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just a thought on the premium vs. regular debate - in Canada the manufacturer does not recommend premium fuel. The owner's manual says to use regular. Since it is the same engine, with the same specs re horsepower etc, it seems to me that using regular in the states would be fine.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Amanti
106 Posts
I get between 21-22 MPG on the computer and within a few tenths of that using the fillup/odo/gal calculations.

This is driving 80% in town with moderate traffic and 20% highway (@ 75+mph).

I have my tires inflated to 40psi (44 is tire max, no change in ride)

I also run Mobil 1 5w-30 synthetic in the engine.

Debating adding a K+N filter. Pretty happy with my mileage.

·
Registered
2002 Kia Sedona, 2003 Mercedes Benz C320 4-Matic Sport
55 Posts
I added a K&N filter to my KIA Sedona - same engine as the Amanti - and it does help a bit - don't look for miracles; K&N seems to be worth the price and is ecological as you don't throw out all those paper filters. Try it.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Amanti
106 Posts
Hi Walter,

I've heard mostly good things about K&N and have used them in previous vehicles with good results. -Only bad thing I've heard recently is the oil used on them has messed up the MAF sensors on some owners cars. -I've never had that problem.

I'm very happy with my mileage (i don't drive easy all the time either :gunsmilie: )

Maybe I'll pick one up when I change the oil next time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Last trip in the AManti with the 1st engine, about 250 miles avg 26 mpg. Avg city / Hwy is about 21. Use 87 oct. gas

·
Registered
5 Posts
Originally posted by 04Amanti@Dec 9 2005, 11:37 AM
I get between 21-22 MPG on the computer and within a few tenths of that using the fillup/odo/gal calculations.

This is driving 80% in town with moderate traffic and 20% highway (@ 75+mph).

I have my tires inflated to 40psi (44 is tire max, no change in ride)

I also run Mobil 1 5w-30 synthetic in the engine.

Debating adding a K+N filter. Pretty happy with my mileage.

WOW! I love my car, but I'm not getting that kind of mileage in my Amanti! *stealing 04Amanti's information* :haha: :blush:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have been getting around 17 mpg city, as high as 28 MPG highway. Nothing magic - for city, light touch on the accelerator, look ahead 1-2 signals, i.e. don't race from red light to red light, try to keep it in 4th or 5th..

Best highway mileage seems to be around 70 MPH, using cruise control. And, of course, the less you leave the highway, the better the mileage.

Combined city/highway (50-50) is around 19 - 20 MPG.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts