Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day folks
I hope soon to be a brand new Australian Kia Sportage, Platinum Diesel owner. Delivery is expected early January 2013. I once owned an old diesel Ford D Series tip truck and an International diesel tractor. Never envisaged owning a diesel motor car and was pleasantly surprised with my test drive experience. My problem is my lack of modern diesel knowledge and expectations. I understand (thru forums) that Australians may have access to a reasonably poorer quality diesel fuel, compared to Europe consumers. Should I consider using a diesel additave to my fuel ? What are recommended brands and expectations with their use, and will it affect my warranty.
I wait anxiously for any assistance here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi 14 Sportage,
You have said: "I understand (thru forums) that Australians may have access to a reasonably poorer quality diesel fuel, compared to Europe consumers. Should I consider using a diesel additave to my fuel ?"

What you need to ask yourself here is what the fuel additive is supposed to achieve. I do not know if Australia has poorer quality diesel than Europe or for that matter Asia, the Americas or Africa. It would depend on the fuel the engine is designed to run on in Australia. The engine has probably been tuned to perform best based on the area the vehicle is sold. Best people to answer this is KIA or maybe the dealership. You could also try other sportage owners or you local state motoring association.

"I once owned an old diesel Ford D Series tip truck and an International diesel tractor. Never envisaged owning a diesel motor car and was pleasantly surprised with my test drive experience."

Did you use fuel additive in either of these vehicles? You said you were pleasently surprised by your test drive experience, so it would seem that the car runs ok on Australian diesel. Australian unleaded pertrol has a 91 RON while Europe and America unleaded is 93 RON. Most imported cars from Japan or Korea specify a RON of 91 or mure for their cars. These seem to run on Australian fuel and i am guessing that not many people use fuel additives. I would not think the difference (if any) between Australian diesel and European diesel is enough to be a problem.

"What are recommended brands and expectations with their use, and will it affect my warranty."

I would not think using a fuel additive would affect your warranty, but again only KIA can make that decision.

Most fuel additives are made to perform a specific function, such as keeping the fuels system clean, reduce noise etc., and I would not think a new car would benefit from a fuel additive early on.

I hope this helps a bit, and I must point out that i do not own or drive a diesel. But I recently sold my Mazda motorhome that was diesel. It was made in 1986 and had done over 300,000 kms and still running sweetly. All on Australian diesel,

Cheers, John

1 - 2 of 2 Posts