Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Kia Sporty 4x4
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in my 2002 the socket on the front dash is loose and gives intermittent power because of this. Also it's switched. I'd like to replace it and perhaps make it constant (so I can leave my phone charging while I'm running errands in a store etc). Can someone recommend where I should tap in to do this and perhaps the "correct" AAP or AZ part to grab. Other ideas welcome as well.

Thanks all,

Clay

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,692 Posts
Run a new 12g fused wire from the fuse box to the 12vdc dash plug/install a second one... Philip

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Just remember that the voltage at that point will not be exactly 12.0V; probably more like 12.6, but maybe higher or lower (particularly during start-up). This won't affect your phone charger and similar items that drop the voltage to 5V or whatever they need, but bear this in mind if you're plugging in something that actually needs 12.0V. Note that car radios are often disabled during start-up to avoid such voltage problems.

Check the loose existing socket while you're at it.

·
Registered
2002 Kia Sporty 4x4
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check the loose existing socket while you're at it.
Yeah I'm wanting to replace the existing socket with one from AAP or AZ. A second one isn't what I'm after. The current one reads at 12.2 when I get power from it. I guess I got used to my power outlet in my old Dodge always being hot.

aquanaut20 said:
Run a new 12g fused wire from the fuse box to the 12vdc dash plug/install a second one... Philip
That is a good idea - 15amp fused line would do it. Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts