Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,461 Posts
It takes special tools to separate the coil spring from the front struts, for your vehicles age and mileage in my opinion change them with complete strut/spring units. Less work involved(and safer for the inexperienced DIY'er). rockauto is a great source for the parts and price is hard to beat.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento LX
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not something I would do myself anyway.

Are you talking about" quick struts" or actual OEM assembly???

btw, not to keen on Monroe parts

thanks

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Well, yes I am referring to "quick struts". There are more brands than just Monroe out there. While they have had a long standing high reputation, they have had a drop in quality lately...which I blame personally to outsourcing mfg. from the USA.
A lot of considerations as to the best way to go on such replacement parts is that for just the shock part of a strut, you have MORE labor time to pay for and be reusing old springs that could fail shortly "down the road" and have to repeat the whole process all over again. Many independent repair shops around me are reluctant to do just the shock portion(reusing original springs and bearing plates) as for noise complaints that could arise afterwards.
Your car...your choice.....you asked for info, and I've given it.
Good Luck on how you proceed and let us know how you "tackle" your upcoming maint task. :)

·
Registered
2011 Sorento LX
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good point. for example my mechanic recommends replacing rotors with pads instead of resurfacing due to possible nloise problems. probably due to their experience over the years.

willing to bet though manufacturer doesnt recommend quick struts. guess it depends on quality?

I found a complete set for front and rear on Amazon made by TRQ for only $195. seems kinda cheap.
anyway, thanks again for your comments:)

·
Registered
2011 Sorento LX
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE

I never noticed it before but I found out the rear of the car sags or sits lower but when it was inspected the springs were not damaged in back or front. So I found a complete set ( 2 front struts 2 rear shocks) for less than $300 had them installed for $400. They were just standard grade but I notice a much better ride now.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Part of why I suggested complete "quick struts", with age and miles springs front or rear tend to loose their strength and have the car "sag". Not familiar with the Sorento rear suspension for difficulty to replace the rear springs and get it "back on the level". BUT glad you found a nice improvement to ride quality with what you have done. :)

·
Registered
2011 Sorento LX FWD
4 Posts
FWIW, I chose to replace only the struts and shocks (along with the strut mounts), and re-use the original springs. Our car had about 267K miles on it at the time. I saw a video on YouTube recommending this route, as they said that many of the spings included in the quick struts had smaller diameter and/or fewer coils than the originals. I got the free spring compressor loaner kit from AutoZone and did it myself; not too hard, but you have to be sure the strut mounts are aligned correctly or you'll have issues (don't ask how I know :) ).

However, if you have gone the quick strut route and are happy with the results, then that's great.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento LX
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FWIW, I chose to replace only the struts and shocks (along with the strut mounts), and re-use the original springs. Our car had about 267K miles on it at the time. I saw a video on YouTube recommending this route, as they said that many of the spings included in the quick struts had smaller diameter and/or fewer coils than the originals. I got the free spring compressor loaner kit from AutoZone and did it myself; not too hard, but you have to be sure the strut mounts are aligned correctly or you'll have issues (don't ask how I know :) ).

However, if you have gone the quick strut route and are happy with the results, then that's great.
I didnt replace springs either but might do the rear at some point as the car sits lower in back. not a big deal yet.

My Camry had problem with mounts. For the longest time I had trouble making sharp right turn to my condo parking spot. Would hear a noise and steering wheel would "stick" while turning. Never happened on the road. Both struts and mounts were bad.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts