Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Sorento EX V6 Luxury Pearl White
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, plugged something into my 12 volt utility plugin, and when I did, the radio came on (the vehicle was off???)

Has anyone else experienced this?

Also, does anyone else know if the 12 volt plugins are designed to provide power even if the vehicle is turned off? In my 2002 Tahoe, I could plug something into the 12 volt plugin and it would charge even if the vehicle was turned off.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento LX AWD I4 - 2007 Acura RDX AWD I4 Turbo - RIP 1995 Audi Cabriolet
40 Posts
Not sure about your radio issue but all power outlets turn off when ignition is off. Wish it wasn't so but it is.

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2013
237 Posts
Not sure about your radio issue but all power outlets turn off when ignition is off. Wish it wasn't so but it is.
agree

it would have been nice, as I could have hooked up 2 nice big solar panels to it to keep the car running the electronics even when it's off, with the 2 huge sun roof on the SX

it would have been ideal for a camping trip

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,928 Posts
It would be better to "add" another Lighter/Power outlet and tie it straight to the car battery through a fused wire. The fuse size would depend on the current draw needed (AMPs) at the outlet and the physical wire size that's run to the battery (and ground).

You could then run a pretty large AC power inverter (1000watts), 12v refrigerator, etc.
You could also charge the battery and supply DC for your accessories when the engine was not running.

Higher current lighter/power outlets are available at AutoZone and Advance, as well as inline fuses and wire.

Dave

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,483 Posts
It would be better to "add" another Lighter/Power outlet and tie it straight to the car battery through a fused wire. The fuse size would depend on the current draw needed (AMPs) at the outlet and the physical wire size that's run to the battery (and ground).

You could then run a pretty large AC power inverter (1000watts), 12v refrigerator, etc.
You could also charge the battery and supply DC for your accessories when the engine was not running.

Higher current lighter/power outlets are available at AutoZone and Advance, as well as inline fuses and wire.

Dave
+1 on this...

·
Registered
Race Blue MY12 Skoda Octavia RS TDI Manual
929 Posts
Alternatively, have a dual battery setup and a full-time live 12v socket tied to the auxiliary battery.

That'd probably be better. That way you could leave a fridge or something on 24/7.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts