Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,
new to this site. 1st time Kia owner. i have a 2012 soul with about 2k on it. this morning I pulled it out of the driveway so I could pull my car out. about 1 hour later my wife got in it and the ignition key wouldn't turn at all. she tried several times and then called Kia. they talked her through some steps to no avail, called me home, and she tried a couple more times and the key finally worked. Now it works fine.
Is there some security issue I might have done moving her car. Or is this some fluke thing. any imput would be helpful. Now my wife is scared to turn the car off when she goes somewhere.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,532 Posts
welcome to the forum, if you could fill out your DRIVES and LOCATION profile, it would help as this is a world-wide forum and things can be different on the same vehicle in different countries.

To me, it almost sounds like the steering lock is in place preventing the key from turning. If this happens again just move the steering wheel slightly your key will turn. It's happened to me the odd time, just depends in what position the steering wheel is in when you remove the key.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Almost certainly the steering lock was hard against the key mechanism. You were probably manoeuvering the car in the drive and there was a bit of tension in the steering wheel when you got to your final position and turned off.

BTW, a bit of random information on ignition keys: I heard the starter motor of a young friend's car making strange noises as she started her car; the starter motor was running for a couple of seconds longer than necessary. Reason? Nobody had ever told her that the ignition position of the key was spring-loaded, and she was waiting until the car started and turning the key back by hand.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts