Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2011 V6 Sorento EX
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm still experiencing over cranking issue every now an then. Vehicle sits 30 hours or more and starts right up under 1 second. Next time after setting only 10 minutes it will crank 3 seconds or more before starting. It just seems to due this regardless of temperature or how long vehicle sits. Happens every third or fourth start. No check engine warning lights showing.
Anyone have similar experience with this issue? Looking for feedback before contacting dealer. Thank you in advance for any an all advice!

Would a hard rest of vehicles computer "disconnecting battery terminals then touching positive to negative" solve this or create other issues?
Would it be considered covered under 10 year 100K mile warranty?

·
Registered
2011 V6 Sorento EX
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello, any techs out there having come across issues similar to ours? No codes at all, no engine check light. Just occasional over cranking issues. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan, 17 Ford Edge Sport, 15 Mustang, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,727 Posts

·
Registered
2011 V6 Sorento EX
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello ron1004, I thank you for the link. We have had the brake light switch replace once at dealer just after purchasing vehicle new nearly 10 years ago. Our issue is different as engine cranks 3 seconds before starting. Other times it starts right up. It always starts, has never failed.
We have had great trouble free ownership other than sway bar links and bushings. Really enjoy the vehicle to date but the occasional 3 second cranking troubles me, it disappeared for some time but returned. 3 months ago I had dealer perform 3 step fuel injection cleaning and other items recently, no change.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
679 Posts
I would say don't be too concerned about it. 3 seconds cranking before starting is not an issue, in my opinion. When did this start happening? Do you have to do anything special or does it just take 3 seconds and then it's fine after that?

Also, you may not be able to do anything until it gets worse. Sounds bad, but you can't fix it if it really isn't broken. This means, though, that if it gets bad, at some point the car may fail to start or there may be some issue that occurs while driving it.

Starting the engine requires several things that could be an issue but you may need to spend a lot of money on diagnosis and parts to get back to what you describe. It could be something like:
  • not getting gas to engine
  • not getting spark to ignite fuel that gets to engine
    • something with spark plugs
    • something with fuel delivery such as fuel filter or fuel pump or injectors. could be dirt in the fuel tank/fuel filter, etc. Maybe have throttle body cleaned or do that yourself.
    • could be something like inferior gas, but that would show up more frequently and you'd probably have other weird symptoms occuring. I think gas stations switch to winter gas around now.
    • MAP sensor or other vacuum related issues. Control modules use this to determine fuel and ignition parameters.
  • not sensing ignition, spark or timing properly, such as crankshaft or camshaft position sensors
  • other factors that are designed to prevent damage to engine
    • this includes something like starting a vehicle when it's in gear. engine only starts if it's in Park or Neutral. there is a shift range sensor that is used to determine gear selection. This isn't likely your case as it sounded like you try to start and then try again, without changing anything and then the engine starts.
Your description indicates that it's not battery or starter issues, in my opinion, as the engine is actually turning over properly.

I was having problems with my crankshaft position sensor. I wasn't always getting a code and even less frequently a check engine light. I would get an engine hesitation while driving sometimes and then it would just keep going as if nothing happened. Sometimes, when starting the engine, it would crank for 10-15 seconds or more and then start up. When this happened, I would need to keep the start button pushed until it started.

In any case, with all of the possible things,I would say don't worry about it...easy for me to say :) Be prepared and know what to do in case the engine doesn't start. Some things that will help in that case:
  • If it's cranking but doesn't start, you can keep the start button or key turned for an extended period of time which overrides some "don't start" functionality.
  • There is a shift-lock override just in front of the gear shift, if I remember correctly. You can insert a screwdriver or key to override the shift-interlock. Make sure you are in Park or Neutral when you do this.
  • Have an auto club membership such as AAA or CAA in case you need towing. Some of these are provided free or as part of some other service that you pay for.
  • Possibly have jumper cables or one of these new battery jump starters although I would say it's not a battery issue. I have both. I've had several occasions with my previous cars to use the cables. The jump starters are fairly recent, at least the new smaller "smart" ones that use lithium ion batteries.
Hopefully this info helps. As always, this is some advice that may or may not be useful and some of this may be incorrect, so research and use at your own responsibility.

Phew. I'm tired now :)
Good Luck!

·
Registered
2011 V6 Sorento EX
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THANK YOU VIM! Appreciate your willingness to assist! That's what I'm doing at this point, waiting for complete failure. I can't imagine how it feels waiting 10 to 15 seconds before engine starts. The battery is fairly new. I agree with being prepared. We just had dealership complete 60K service at just over 80K hoping starting issue would be resolved by throttle body and injector service. The vehicle may keep being stubborn another 100K miles but I'll be ready when it fails. Thanks again my Canadian friend :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts