Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Sorento LX AWD 4cylinder
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the 30k mile checkup they told me I had to have a couple of things done, besides oil, lube, filter.

They said I needed the transmission & anti freeze flushed. They said it would be $230.00 for those 2 flushes plus whatever oil change costs.

I want to see what people think about the need for that at 30k miles or at any time during ownership. I don't think not doing voids my warranty, but am curious what people her think. Thanks Dorothy.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento, Suzuki V-Strom
506 Posts
What does your owner's manual recommend for 30,000 miles?

The antifreeze is time limited. I think it is 5 years, but check the manual. The older formulations were 2 years.

Modern automatic transmission fluid is good for 100,000 miles, although many aren't sure that is really wise. 30k is probably too short, although it wouldn't be a bad idea to just do a partial change with a drain and refill. The ATF used in these transmissions isn't widely available, and I would not let an Iffy-Lube type place use a universal ATF.

Service writers are often crooks. I think you found one.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento SX
108 Posts
I walk in the the owners manual in hand, They tried to get me to change the anti freeze, she insisted that it was recommended by Kia. I asked her to show me where it states that in the book, and when she couldn't find it, (after 1000,000 it is every 30,000), she said oh it is because of the severe driving you do. I laughed and had them just do the regular service.
It is a shame all service writers work on commission, so it is in there best interest to up-sell

·
Registered
194 Posts
I think best practice is to flush/fill brake fluid, coolant, power steering every two years. And drain/fill transmission fluid and gear oil every three years. That keeps you covered from ever having fluids go bad and start to degrade other parts.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Brake fluid--yes, 2 years is smart.
Coolant--5 years is OK with modern long-life products
Power Steering--the fluid will live longer than 2 years, but certainly not forever. A Magnefine or Filtran in-line filter put on the return line to the reservoir (probably 1/2" size) will extend the life of the parts.
Transmission--a drain and refill every 30,000 miles is smart. I don't know how difficult it is to refill ours. I'm not aware of any common aftermarket ATF suitable for these transmissions--Amsoil says their ATL works, and RedLine says their D6 works. A Magnefine or Filtran in-line filter from the transmission to the cooler will lengthen transmission life.
Gear oil--the AWD cars have a transfer case at the transmission and the rear differential that take 75W-90 gear oil. This is a long life oil, especially because it is hardly ever under load. Replacement with a synthetic gear oil will give better operation in frigid winters, longer gear oil life, and perhaps a sliver better gas mileage.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento AWD V6 SX Cherry Black
231 Posts
I guess I go the other way. Having vehicles that run way over 200k miles without incident, I find that after the early 90's, when they finally designed transmssion seals that didn't leak, transmission changes easily can go for 100k, then 50k after that, ( Some recent auto manuals have No date for ever changing the oil), unless you detect a change in odor or slight color change. Now if you do heavy hauling (3500lbs w/V6) then 50K is good for ounce of prevention. Brake fluid- 5years unless a leak detected or again any color change noticed in the see through reservoir container. Anti freeze- 5 years or 100K unless an over heat or leak then full change one repaired. Some of the latest antifreezes are rated for 10 years. AWD -50K if you really use it off roads, 98% don't. Adding additional filters or coolers will always help if you are overly concerned.:D

·
Registered
Hyundai Gencoupe
112 Posts
I have found it best to use the manual to find interval 'suggestions'. However... it is only a suggestion. My BMW had a 'lifetime fill' of gear lube in the gearbox and diff. Which is nuts. That was after BMW started paying for 'regular maintenance' for their cars.. they also changed the oil change frequencies from 3,k to 10,k... and required synthetic. All the same engine and parts before this change.

So, the car company and the service writers are doing their best to make money off of you.. It's hard to know what needs changing and when. You can send oil off for analysis.. but I don't know about other fluids.

50,k is a good interval to replace AT fluid for me.. I change brake fluid when I put new brakes on my car. I change my oil every 10,k, along with tire rotation.
Power steering fluid? I don't think I'd bother with that until 100,k then every 50.
I look at my belts but I'd change them around 75,k regardless. However, I've seen them go well into the 100,k range.

I agree to a large part with Izzy. Modern cars are made for low maintenance. They are also made for dealer servicing moreso than years before. Intervals are long, wear is low. Sometimes there is more risk in changing something than there is in leaving it alone. I like letting fixed things stay fixed.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Brake fluid is hygroscopic. It absorbs moisture from the air. The fluid can be tested, but 2 years is a good rule of thumb. The minor problem with moisture-laden brake fluid is that it causes the metal parts in the brake system to corrode. The big problem is that the moisture in the fluid can vaporize to steam under the heat of emergency braking. Your pedal goes to the floor and you don't stop. I know of two local fatality wrecks caused by overheated brake fluid (in both cases the vehicle should have been downshifted for the long steep downgrade). A friend had a close call towing his horse trailer down a mountain road with his F150. After he got stopped using his parking brake, downshifting at that point, and the road sloped up, his brakes cooled and they felt normal; when overheated the pedal went to the floor.

Power steering fluid is a petroleum hydraulic oil, either automatic transmission fluid without the red dye or a similar fluid. It deteriorates with use accelerated by heat. Renewing the fluid periodically will extend the life of the expensive steering components. If ATF is an OK substitute in your vehicle, then synthetic ATF will live even longer. Adding a Magnefine in-line filter to the return line will additionally lengthen the life of the parts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts