Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found just what I was looking for, a 2wd, MT, 4 cyl,AC, 4 Door 2000 KIA Sportage.I live 10 miles down a dirt, gravel and rocky road but do not need 4wd but do need the gas economy and the upright seating position for an arthritic lumbar spine. The price is right but the vhicle has just about 100,000 miles showing on the odometer. Drives ok except for slight vibration in steering wheel above 60mph. The front tires are nearly worn out, worn evenly though, which could acount for the vibration. The CARFAX vehicle history shows no problems and the body is not dented up from parking lots so the milage could be mostly highway miles.I do not claim I am a mechanic but I am a very good parts changer as the runability of my 73 Plymp Scamp and 78 slant 6 dodge van with either 300,000 or possibly 400,000 miles will atest. I would appreciate any advice on what would be due to be done on this vehicle and any guess on cost of parts. Thanks for anyand all help.

·
Registered
349 Posts
The DOHC engine is stout and will run well over 200K miles if it's been cared for. Number 1 item is oil changes. Done consistently? if yes, then you should be OK.

The other biggie is the timing belt. Was it done? The manual says every 60K miles but the belt itself is wear rated to 105K miles. So you can push the envelope on the timing belt change but not too far. But luckily the DOHC engine is a "non-interference" design and you will NOT destroy the engine if it breaks. However, it will leave you stranded.

Other than that check the things you normally would for a high mileage vehicle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took the vehicle in for a $75.00 professional evaluation. All fluids need to be flushed and replaced. The radiator needs replacing, how hard a job is this. Does the AC condenser interfer and does the AC system need discharged to remove and replace the radiator? How hard is is it to change the front struts? I would most likely get a strut spring compressor from Harbor Freight, what kind of compressor is best to use on the Sportage struts? The shop that did the evaluation gave an estimate $1,086.65, $497.40 parts, $525.00 labor, and $64.25 tax. That does not include the 4 new tires needed. It is a first class shop but that price is nearly a deal stopper. I can get the parts and fluids for about $400.00 and spring compressors run from $10.00 to $120.00 so I may use the cost of repair information to try to lower the asking price and do the work myself. It is a quandry for me, do I buy this one and do the work myself, buy this one and have the work done, look for a lower milage vehicle, or do the unthinkable and buy a new one. I look forward to any and all comments, opinions, and advice.

·
Registered
349 Posts
The radiator is easy to replace once you unbolt the shroud assembly and push it back towards the engine. No need to monkey with the A/C condensor.

The struts can be a bear to replace if you are inexperienced with suspension work. Getting the old ones out is the real hard part. And yes, you will need a spring compressor to get the spring off the strut.

Details can be found at http://www.kiatechinfo.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts