Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Sedona 2.9 crdi LE
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car went in for its 10k service today. A few weeks ago I had an incident where the battery went flat when the car was not driven for a week, :( at the time I thought we might have left on a courtesy light or something but could not find anything that might have caused it so jump started the car and thought I will let the garage know when it has its service.

After reading on here about members who have had problems with batteries I though this might be the problem... WRONG.

Went to pick the car up they had checked over the battery and charging system and they had found the alternator was not providing enough charge. Well enough if you did not use lights and lots of auxiliaries, rear screen heater etc.

The dealer now has a new alternator on order..

Anyone else had problems with their alternator?

They also found nails in both rear tyres :angry:

Everything else was fine and over all was very happy with the service they provided. :clap:

Oh and must add that I had a Picanto as a courtesy car which I had to take to Northampton on business from Derby. Got to say that it is one of the best small family cars I have driven :trophy: ... Never thought I would hear myself say that as I am no big fan of small cars. What size engines do they put in them?

Simon

·
Registered
71 Posts
Nails in tyres? ... sounds like a neighbourhood problem rather than a car problem!

Surprised about the alternator - wouldn't have expected that to fail 10k or under (at least it's covered on warranty). Still, it's a big battery and I guess the alternator is putting out a lot of amps to charge. You mentioned it was left for a week, was the car used alot beforehand? At least you got a courtesy car!!!

Fiona

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Suppose these things happen, certainly not a common issue at such low miles, very expensive so you'll be glad it'll cost you nothing!

Picanto's come as a 1.0 or a 1.1 4 cylinder petrol.

·
Registered
Sedona 2.9 crdi LE
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by CurlyWurlyGirl@Sep 10 2005, 05:31 PM
Nails in tyres? ... sounds like a neighbourhood problem rather than a car problem!

Surprised about the alternator - wouldn't have expected that to fail 10k or under (at least it's covered on warranty). Still, it's a big battery and I guess the alternator is putting out a lot of amps to charge. You mentioned it was left for a week, was the car used alot beforehand? At least you got a courtesy car!!!

Fiona
Where I work they are demolishing an old workshop that has wooden roofs. The main road to the carpark goes past this workshop and there have been a number of complaints of nails and screws in tyres...so I will be taking this up with the bosses. :gunsmilie:

With the alternator the car had been used overnight in rain, so lights wipers, rear screen heater etc had been used and this had taken just enough juice to not have quite enough left to engage the starter fully.

At my dealers you have the choice when you book in for a service whether you require a courtesy car. Normally provided you book more then 2 weeks in advance you can normally get one. Downside is from the 1st of October they are going to charge you £10 for this service :angry: . Something to do with administration costs... Hope they are not going to charge me this when it goes in for the warranty work :unsure:

Simon

·
Registered
Sedona 2.9 crdi LE
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Murphwiz@Sep 10 2005, 06:33 PM
very expensive so you'll be glad it'll cost you nothing!

Thought it might be as it does look a little different than your avarage alternator. Is it unique to certain Kia models?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Shouldn't be charged if vehicle is in for warranty work.. if they try to have a word!

Alternator also provides vacuum for the brake servo system.

·
Registered
Sedona 2.9 crdi LE
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No I wont be charged they are also replacing some cracked trim and the rear number plate...

·
Registered
Sedona 2.9 crdi LE
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well where do I start.

Alternator was replaced as planned by dealer last week. When I got the car home I noticed a strong smell of engine coolant. Lifted the bonnet to find coolant in all the screw holes on the engine cover and white splatter (dried coolant) all over the engine compartment. Checked the hoses and all in place and no obvious leaks. Checked with dealer and apparently they have to remove some hose to fit the alternator so there is some spillage to be expected!!!! Just a shame they did not clean it up :angry:

But thats not the problem.... The Grease Monkey / technician (delete as applicable) had used what looked like a chisel to bash into place the NEW alternator, which now looks very second hand. :angry: :angry: :angry:

So a few phone calls and expletives and we agree its not correct and they will sort it when it comes in for the wheel bearing safety recall.

This weekend battery flat again Sunday morning NOT HAPPY :angry: so sod the Long Eaton dealer I drove to the Derby branch on Monday (round the corner from work0 and park myself on the service desk. Excellent service, car was fixed today... They think the problem is the battery so replaced it????? This was dismissed before.... Will inform you if the problem still exists.

Hopefully they will sort me out yet another alternator as well but they want to monitor the current set up until we are sure the flat battery problem has gone away. :unsure:

Simon

·
Registered
Sedona 2.9 crdi LE
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So far so good so looks like it was the battery after all....:thumbsup:

Not a big fan of the big stickers they put on them with "Genuine Kia replacement part" though.

Simon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts