Kia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I last posted in June, 1 week away from trading my Freelander 1.8, very imperssed with my test drives of the Sorento, but no feel for it's towing ability. I'd like to thank again, everyone who put my mind at rest. The Sorento is outstanding.
We took our usual jaunt along the south coast with caravan in tow (starting in SW Scotland!!), a journey which has been a sluggish, clutch burning nightmare for the last 2 years, 1000 miles later I can't say enough about this car. Setting cruise control at 65, the next time I touched the gear stick or pedals was just north of Birmingham. It climbed the long lake district hills no bother at all (the Freelander would be grinding in 3rd gear at this point).
Since then, it's been off-road in mud and wet grass fields. Once again it pulled through with flying colours.
Most important, the wife loves it :clap:
So here sits another happy convert and now as an experienced Sorento owner and tower, would have no hesitation dishing out the praises sent to me in June.
Happy towing

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Spud,
Yeh cant praise it enough when towing. By the way - is that a typing error I spotted? Surely you meant 60MPH as thats the UK speed limit when towing.

Just kidding. :p
Cheers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mm93fm,
Normal around town mileage is 28.5MPG, when towing a 1.2 tonne loaded caravan it drops to around 23MPG. Despite my last....erm...misprint, I wasn't hammering down the motorway. I see you have the 2.5 diesel auto. Mine is 2.5 manual, given the lack of gear changes necessary, I'm sure this helps. What's you're experience?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Spud,

I see you are as happy a chappie as me with the Sorento towing.

I normally go the other way as in Norfolk to Scotland's west coast pulling a 1500kg caravan. Mine is a XE 5 speed auto, from friday it will be an XS auto as I have been so impressed with it I have traded up after only 11 months from new.

The car really is a dream as a towing vehicle and in total control of the caravan, so I can appreciate how happy you are with it, like you (cough!) will sit at 65mph(typo!) very happily all day and not complain in the sligthest, return mpg on mine is around 23.5mpg. Try a tuning chip on it and you will be even more impressed - not forgetting that this could void your warranty/insurance(got a bad cough today)

Good luck and happy caravanning! :beer:

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento
4 Posts
spud,

Mine's still very new so haven't got a MPG yet (still on it's first full tank!)

While I am highly impressed with the rest of the Sorento, I'm a little disappointed with the fuel economy. I've travelled 380 miles on this full tank, and the needle's on the last quarter - between the quarter and final bars on the gauge. This would come out to about 25mpg roughly, and it's been a mixture of town and motorway driving, just me and the 2 toddlers in the back (no caravans!) I'm usually a very frugal driver too. Lots of cruise control too as it's a new toy for me.

This would probably be OK considering it's a SUV, but the quoted mpg in the brochures is higher than that, so I was expecting slightly better fuel economy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
MM93FM

Fuel economy on the Sorento has been a bone of contention with many people as they never seem to get what is quoted and I very much doubt if you will either. As the engine runs in it will get better to a degree, I've now got 13k on mind and free running I can get 28mpg on a good day.

Enjoy the car is great!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts