Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
'12 Soul + '12 Soul ! '12 VStar 1300T
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Turned 100,000 miles today! Bought new 1/14/09. Any other owners using their Rondo for business/delivery? Or excessive ''pleasure'' driving? ^_^

·
Registered
2014 Kia Soul, 1.6hdi auto, in Mixx trim, White over Powder Blue
650 Posts
My original Mk3 is well over the 100k now & my new one wont be long, it's most defo used for business!

·
Registered
08 Kia Rondo EXV6, 7 pass
20 Posts
My '08 bought new in Feb '09 just turned 70K miles. On 3rd set of tires, new A/C compressor, all new stereo system (after OEM quit completely). Travel extensively with my job, love the car.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I put new tires on @ 32,000 miles,again @ 82,000(Hankook 727 both times). Replaced drivers pwr dr lock @ 61,000,accsy belt tensioner @ 72,000,R Frt wheel bearing @ 82,000(hoped it was just noisey tires) & L Frt @ 95,000. Still have org brakes,but looks like they won't make it past 110,000. Not perfect,but it still drives good with tight/quiet steering. My 5 previous GM front drive cars would start developing clunky steering between 8,000-12,000 miles,which made the whole car seem junky. Poor intermediate shaft design curses MANY GM products. If KIA keeps me happy,I may never try GM again.

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,805 Posts
oh guys... I can't compete with you.
So far I have driven around 25k miles since May 2008.

Maybe because I ride around 2k miles a year on my bicycle?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You got me there. I put 30-50 miles a year on my bicycle riding around our no-hills community in New Town St. Charles.

·
Premium Member
6,805 Posts
I just did some math.
You have had the car for about 630 days... so it means you drive it on average 160 miles per day!! Roughly 4 hrs a day!! Man - your life is Rondo :D

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just did some math.
You have had the car for about 630 days... so it means you drive it on average 160 miles per day!! Roughly 4 hrs a day!! Man - your life is Rondo :D
As an 'on-call' courier,I'm in the car an avg of 7-10 hours a day. Except for the actual pick-up/delivery of course. Last friday I'd driven 280 miles over 8.5 hours & was turning into my subdivision,end of the day. My dispatcher called & asked if I wanted to make GOOD money for a 'quick' 498 mile round trip. It WAS good money,so I did it & ended up driving 779 miles for the 'day',19 hours all told. You can see how the miles pile on!

·
Registered
09 Rondo EX 4cyl
134 Posts
I found something called "Auto-RX" for sludge treatment.
It can use for Engine oil and Transmission.... What do you make of this product?
Has anybody used it before?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found something called "Auto-RX" for sludge treatment.
It can use for Engine oil and Transmission.... What do you make of this product?
Has anybody used it before?
If you're doing your maintenances on time,I'd be against most products like this.

·
Registered
09 Rondo EX 4cyl
134 Posts
true indeed!
like some of European cars like BMW or VW have longer drain interval which likely to cause black death (sludge all over!!) In Germany, their should be more hwy driving in extreme speed - like 220km/h ? able to burn off things. In N.America as we all know - lots of stops and gos, - short distance drivings and hwy speed limit is often around 100km/h thus sludge happen more often - I imagine. Rondo's OCI is 8000km - 4 month. it is for normal driving condition - so it is really 4000km.

From my first oil change - Kia Oil did not change colour at all even at 4k. I was not sure what was going on - is that mean OEM oil is better than PP? or simply has no cleaning power?

Auto-RX, I think, is the extra concentrated active agent for cleaning. Also it take as long as 6000mile (cleaning + rinsing) to make engine clean.

But it is agreeable to have regular check up for optimal condition.
However - dealer won't open the engine unless we tell them to rebuilt it. So, we don't know much of what is going on in there.
We can always check it by opening the oil fill cap and see who dirty it is. Here we can find more than we do on the dip stick.

Wish your engine is clean and optimal like factory condition! (which is pennzoil ultra is for)

·
Registered
2007 Rondo EX 4cyl. 5 pass.
510 Posts
A good quality oil like what your using is a far better choice than an a oil additive because the additives in the oil are designed to work together. Oil in a new engine is going to be clean because the engine is clean and tight. But, the thing to remember, is that oil that gets dirty is usually doing a better job of cleaning your engine than an oil that stays clean, because it's holding the dirt in suspension and not letting it settle out to form sludge.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
UPDATE: 110,000 miles on 11/19/10. Had dealer replace front brake pads & turn rotors at 104,000. $190 all in & it's sure nice not to have the high speed shakes when braking.

Also had them check my tilt-wheel lock. I WAS raising the wheel to exit/lowering to drive EVERY time I got in/out. The lock is worn & will pop loose at times even though I leave it in the low position now. Dealer says about $475+ for new column as the worn tilt piece isn't servicable. And,$60 to tell me this news. I can drive it as is for now,secure enough most of the day. Still love the Rondo,just wish it had the 6-spd auto available on many KIA's now.

·
Premium Member
6,805 Posts
28,600 today, and drives all right :D

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I spoke too soon on the ''all's well''. Today,at 130,301 miles,my wiper motor started groaning. May last awhile longer,but I'm not chancing it.
New Kia wiper motor & ''transmission''-$285. Motor itself-$209,trans itself-$160. I figure it's best to get the whole thing now as the trans is exspensive by itself & I'll probably wear the nylon pivots/arm drives out in another 60,000 miles or so.

At least I got a 2010 Titanium Rondo LX for a loaner while the parts arrive(2-3 days). Kia removed the remote fuel door release & glove box ''shock''(slams open). The HVAC only has 4 speeds & no ''off'' position. Still drives nice.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
140,000 miles today. Would've been sooner,but I backed into a pole while looking at new Kia's late Easter. $3700 damage. Put 4600 miles on a Kia Soul rental in 19 days. The Soul is fun & avg'd 2.5 mpg better,but the Rondo takes bumps SO much more fluidly. My neck is glad the Rondo is back. It still drives nice,smooth,& quiet.

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 5 Sport 6M, 2011 Kia Soul 1.6 5M
54 Posts
Glad to hear your Rondo experience has been so good. I really wish the Rondo was still available in the US. I originally intended to get a 7 seat Rondo when I bought our Sedona, but the only 7-seater within several hundred miles of me was sold before I made it to the dealer to look at it, I went with the Sedona. I am on the opposite end of the spectrum when it comes to driving. I've had the Sedona for more than a year and it has 9600 miles on it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Landric,Kia should have done a light restyle,found a way to offer factory deep tint glass,install the Optima drivetrain (198 hp 2.4 & 6 spd auto),updated guage cluster,more COLORS,and,ADVERTISE the darn thing!
Rondo is a very nice driving/handling vehicle. The updated drivetrain would let it run away from most utility vehicles and get 30mpg easily while cruising. Oh,well. Maybe the upcoming KV-7 will blow our skirt up.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts