Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

If safety is your number one priority in a car, these 10 models might best be ignored.

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety has just released a new study detailing the vehicles with the highest (and lowest) rate of driver deaths.

Despite vehicles improving in safety across the board and a record nine vehicles with driver death rates of zero, there is still a fair share of vehicles that have more than 46 driver deaths per million registered vehicles from the 2009-2012 according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. In fact, three models recorded over 100 deaths per million registered vehicles with the majority of the top 10 cars found in the compact car segment.
See the complete list of the 10 deadliest cars at AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I'm surprised by this.

I'm even more surprised this would be posted here on a KIA forum when the No. 1 deadliest car is the KIA Rio! :confused: :eek: :blink: :crying:

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Think of it as 'dumb luck'. Auto guide does 'copy and paste' advertising. This same post is on several websites irrespective of manufacturer.

·
Super Moderator
6,854 Posts
Higher miles per gallon = more plastic, lighter weight, corners cut (look at steering and suspension parts on today's cars). Not much in the "beefy" reinforcement dept... Tiny brakes...

Now let's look at the cars in the list....
Small, very price conscious, and little metal to absorb damage.. and none of the newest safety innovations...

Here is a formula that brings about this list...

First you take a person with less/little/very little funds....
First time driver 20< years (with no experience and wants SPEED) , divorced mom (only option with 2~3 kids), Guy down on luck, Environmentalist (more of these need to drive this kind of car), etc...

Next you have him/them purchase a "small car" because of his lack of funds/ or want to "save the world"....
(and possibly worse for the poor guy... buying it used with little done but cleaning and washing) at a "buy here pay here" lot...

Then you take the car that he/they purchased and drive it with little to no upkeep (no $$$$ to repair)....

and finally have him/them drive it until it has high(er) mileage and is totally unsafe and.... add all this together and what result pops up???

People dying....

With the exception of the Chevy Truck (lots of weight behind it, little front end metal, high center of gravity) .... all the others are in the above "class"...

Pretty logical conclusion...

Maybe the "liberals" should mandate we keep these people off the road, make EVERYONE drive one, (that way Semis can kill more), OR give them government funds (read as steal/take more out of the middle classes pocket(s))

It is just gonna happen anyway....Oh Well....
Dave

·
Registered
262 Posts
..The article is statistically short sighted. It fails/intends to link the number of deaths vs vehicle model regardless of:
a. The circumstances of an accident event (weather or road conditions, other people's fault, traffic, etc)
b. The circumstance of the driver (fell asleep, DUI, speeding, experience, etc)
c. The circumstance of the car (tire conditions, maintenance, etc)

Indeed, I imagine the chances of surviving a collision by getting sandwiched between two tractor trailers will be lesser inside a Rio, than a Suburban. But we know this. The article adds nothing to what we already know.

I'm sorry, the article is plain nonsense.
MV

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Higher miles per gallon = more plastic, lighter weight, corners cut (look at steering and suspension parts on today's cars). Not much in the "beefy" reinforcement dept... Tiny brakes...

Now let's look at the cars in the list....
Small, very price conscious, and little metal to absorb damage.. and none of the newest safety innovations...

I don't really think the Chevy Camaro (#6) falls into this category. :|

·
Super Moderator
6,854 Posts
Ref:
"Small, very price conscious, and little metal to absorb damage.. and none of the newest safety innovations..."

Ok the Camaro is for the "rich kid" who wants to go FAST and attract girls...Still the front end on this car is poorly made to protect the driver.. I have seen them on iaai.com .

I searched "2015 Camaro" and almost all of them have UNDER 10k miles on them and most less than 3k miles... Big engine, no frame, no front end steel, that got away from the driver while acting foolishly... All built and bought for the WRONG purpose...

These wrecked cars were driven by fools that lacked much in the way of intelligence (spent too way much and drove with little knowledge of what "could" happen)..
Dave
Dave

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Ok the Camaro is for the "rich kid" who wants to go FAST and attract girls...Still the front end on this car is poorly made to protect the driver..

Big engine, no frame, no front end steel, that got away from the driver while acting foolishly... All built and bought for the WRONG purpose...

These wrecked cars were driven by fools that lacked much in the way of intelligence (spent too way much and drove with little knowledge of what "could" happen)..

Can't argue with that! :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Think this article is rubbish. Of course some cars offer more protection in different car crashs than others but there are so many other factors that play a role.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't believe this article.. Potection varies from one car to another and it is the fault of the one who drives or the public which results in tragic incidents. We cannot blame the car for that. It is true that some cars have some security issues, but if we are skilled, then all cars are good.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
So for everybody's TOTAL safety, governments should mandate that ALL road vehicles be gunless M1a1 Abrams tanks! Oops forgot they get LOUSY mileage, and roads would not hold up to the weight of so many of these vehicles and for those environmentalists, the list would go on and on. LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts