Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( Hi! I need help. I recently got a diagnosis for my '00 Sephia..... the car is stuttering after 5 minutes of being warmed up.. it's hitting on 3 cyclinders.. and idles rough after warming up. It happened immediately after a fill-up with 87 octane fuel....

The mechanics at Good Year said that either a fuel system cleaning would take care of it.. or there is a problem with the fuel injectors. I did the diagnosis for $130... fuel system cleaning and new fuel filter for about $175. I don't want to spend any more on this car... it's only worth about $1500 anyway, now. What i'm wondering is... could it be something ELSE besides this? Can I install a fuel injector in the #1 cylinder space.. from a junk yard for $20 or so? Is it easy to replace one injector? Is there anything online.... so I don't have to spend any more on a book? It only has 66,000 miles on it.

Please help!

Doug - [email protected]

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,124 Posts
I believe the mechanic took you for a ride.
misfire is a plug wire, coil, or plug. not fuel system.
change the plugs and wires. fi that doesnt do it then its the coils but being cyl 3 i suspect plug wires as coils are in cyl 2 and 4.
now he charged you 175.00 for fuel filter install, the part and fuel system cleaning. go back to him and say f u man. he ripped you off. I did my fuel filter got the filter from parts store for 9.99. then installed it in 10 min. and the fuel system cleaner is just stuff you buy at a parts store for 10 bucks.

besides it has a check engine light on correct? blinking too also right?
he knows what was wrong because he scanned the ecu. if he didnt then he was just gessing at the problem. get the codes from the man if he dont give em you know he lying and if he does give em post the numbers of codes here ill tell ya what they are...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
32 Posts
Some kia engines have been know to go out as early as 30k miles. I would say your sol bud.
Go to a licenced mechanic that has a good reputation with the Better Buisness Bureauo.
Should cost like 500 to fix....i think dont quote me on that.

·
Premium Member
6,124 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry a proper fuel injector cleaning is done with a $ 2,500 machine. normal cost is about $ 125.00. Time listed for fuel filter is .5 hr X labor rate. I have same problem, only on #4, which is what code says. I replaced plugs with double platium & installed new wires. Still badly misses on # 4. Will try coil next.
Just for info. a plugged injector will cause a "lean" misfire in the cylinder. Happens all the time.

·
Premium Member
6,124 Posts
why would you spend 175.00 on them cleaning injectors when they cost less to get a new set of 4???????????????
.5 hrs????????
its a screw to remove and 3 connectors!!!!!!!! umm that dont take 30 minutes. i did min in 15 tops.... want yours done?????
ill charge you 5 bills.
and ill throw in your injectors in oh 25-30!

soem mechanics (well most) are lazy. they want you to be there longer than it takes obviously. more $$$$$$$$$

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
3 Posts
New fuel injectors..a set, are 86.00 online, and the hardest part of changing them is getting the clips back on.

Look at your engine...the injectors are where you'd normally expect to fing spark plugs...those are underneither the cover with the 6 screws in it on top of your engine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, newbie to kias here,

I have a misfire on Cylinder #3, it runs fine until it warms up and starts missing pretty bad, expecially when the engine is under a load accelerating or up a hill.

Looking at the front of the engine, how do the number go? 1 2 3 4 with timing belt by #1? I checked the plugs and the #1 (closest to the timing belt) seems to be dirty and missing spark. But why would the engine code say #3?

Thanks, and also intersted to hear about the debate of Electrical or Fuel Delivery problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
new to the KIA chopping block

i've had all kinds of wonderful things happen to my beloved Sephia but this is one thing that i have found so far. i have used the platium and double plat and quad plat plugs out of all of the plugs that i have used i must say that the plain old $3 plugs work the best. it has completly stopped my misfires. also at 120000K i have also changed my wires. but i have noticed that my hesitation at lights is still there also when i'm driving down the freeway. but for the misfires try using the good old plain jane spark plugs. i'm using the copper plus plugs, FYI the gap is .027-.033 and if you take the feeler gauges to the others you will notice a gapping well over in the area of .05 -.1 well over the recommended gapping.:)

edited 1fastkia

·
Registered
22 Posts
Cylinder missfire

1998 Kia Sephie
My engine was running a little rough and took it to auto zone for a free trouble light check and had missfire on #3, I never take my car into a garage to have it connected to a computer. they charge 125 bucks or more. Then make a good guess on what the problem is. I replaced one thing at a time starting with the cheapest probable cause working my way up, plugs...no change, wires... no change coil pack(60bucks) problem solved. My next step was going to be a compression check then injector replacement

1 - 11 of 11 Posts