Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Sedan Auto 1.6 Turbo // 2020 Sportage LX FWD
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An interesting look at a 2013 Kia Rio 1.6 gdi after 160,000 miles. Still can see the honing marks on the cylinder walls. Two damaged valves (exhaust). The more severe damaged valve had a hot spot on the correlating cylinder wall. I will add the timing chain shoes/guides looked brand new as well. Used valvoline full synthetic it's whole life.

Reactions: sooner4x4

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cleaned pistons with break cleaner for pictures. There was a heavy layer of carbon on the top of all

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Un cleaned. How it looked when opened. Slight wear on the cam caps, could not feel the wear with my fingernail however I could see it. If doing a head gasket, I would have replaced the valves because of damage, set lash, and reassembled. But just for insurance I would have replaced the timing chain tensioner solinoid band timing chain.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio LX, auto, red
34 Posts
Rio-t, thanks for sharing the interesting pics and commentary about the motor. Given the volume of discussion and speculation about carbon build up in gdi engines, actual pics and examples of higher mileage engines are pretty rare. Obviously, from your signature your Rio wasn't running a bone stock engine. I can’t help but wonder if the carbon build up would be similar in a stock motor. I typically run valvoline synthetic or Napa synthetic in my Rio. From your post it sounds like the top half of the engine was in pretty good shape for 160k with the exception of the carbon on the valves.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rio-t, thanks for sharing the interesting pics and commentary about the motor. Given the volume of discussion and speculation about carbon build up in gdi engines, actual pics and examples of higher mileage engines are pretty rare. Obviously, from your signature your Rio wasn't running a bone stock engine. I can’t help but wonder if the carbon build up would be similar in a stock motor. I typically run valvoline synthetic or Napa synthetic in my Rio. From your post it sounds like the top half of the engine was in pretty good shape for 160k with the exception of the carbon on the valves.
That was the stock 1.6 from the 2013 Rio. I swapped in a 1.6 turbo (factory) from a forte. So I just had the original na 1.6 out of the car and tore it apart to see what it looked like.

Those chipped valves concerned me, but it ran just fine when I pulled it out.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio LX, auto, red
34 Posts
That was the stock 1.6 from the 2013 Rio. I swapped in a 1.6 turbo (factory) from a forte. So I just had the original na 1.6 out of the car and tore it apart to see what it looked like.

Those chipped valves concerned me, but it ran just fine when I pulled it out.
Thanks for the clarification. So carbon buildup is to be expected on these motors given your experience. Now if someone would post pics of the internals of another 1.6 at approx the same miles where a catch can had been used, we might have some evidence one way or the other about the benefits of using a catch can to help prevent carbon build up.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Rio LX 6 speed manual.
18 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. So carbon buildup is to be expected on these motors given your experience. Now if someone would post pics of the internals of another 1.6 at approx the same miles where a catch can had been used, we might have some evidence one way or the other about the benefits of using a catch can to help prevent carbon build up.
What is a catch can?

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,759 Posts
What is a catch can?

It is a separator that goes in the positive crankcase ventilation line that ends up in the intake, and prevents oil going into the combustion chamber.

All engines, GDI, Port Injection, Turbo, .........will benefit from a catch-can.

Reactions: Lou O. and rio-t

·
Registered
2014 Kia Rio LX 6 speed manual.
18 Posts

It is a separator that goes in the positive crankcase ventilation line that ends up in the intake, and prevents oil going into the combustion chamber.

All engines, GDI, Port Injection, Turbo, .........will benefit from a catch-can.
Right. Separates blowby oil from air. I'd forgotten the mechanic's slang for an air/oil separator. I can definitely see the use for one in direct injection only systems- no fuel mist to clean the intake valves. My Rio is my first DI engined car, so I'm going to do a bit more research regarding catch cans.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Rio, 2020 Ford Escape SEL, 2017 Chevrolet Colorado 2WT
1,198 Posts
I've had a catch can on our Rio since about the 8th month of ownership

1 - 12 of 12 Posts