Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Under hard acceleration my Sorento seems to have a brief pause between the first to second shift. It doesn't happen all the time. It seems to happen the most when Im wide open and it downshifts from 1st-2nd.

I think it's the traction control system interfering. Although mine is an AWD V6.

I actually caught it on video. Skip to 4:39. It was in second when i floored it causing it to downshift to first.

Basically i'm just trying to see if anyone else has this issue. Just trying to isolate it as a traction control or transmission problem.

Thanks!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounded like a normal shift to me.
I guess you'd have to be in the car to feel it. Literally looses power for a split second then comes back to life. Your right, it sounds normal in the video.

Just watch the way the camera moves as it shifts. If you're wearing headphones you can hear the engine pause-shift-go

·
Registered
13 Sorento LX
42 Posts
Looked/sounded pretty normal to me. The auto transmission is going to cut power for a split-second in order to shift gears... same as you would pop the clutch (temporarily disengaging the drivetrain) to shift to the next gear in a manual trans.

Under normal driving, you don't really notice because the transmission does something similar to rev matching. But when going wide open throttle (WOT), the trans can't match the RPMs between gears without risking damage.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
I don't know if this is normal or not (I don't experience it on mine), but some manufacturers do indeed cut power (and torque) on the 1-2 shift under WOT to reduce the wear and tear on the transmission.

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2013
237 Posts
the OP is right

I get that a lot as well

i avoid by using Manual mode, instead of letting itself drive in Auto

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looked/sounded pretty normal to me. The auto transmission is going to cut power for a split-second in order to shift gears... same as you would pop the clutch (temporarily disengaging the drivetrain) to shift to the next gear in a manual trans.

Under normal driving, you don't really notice because the transmission does something similar to rev matching. But when going wide open throttle (WOT), the trans can't match the RPMs between gears without risking damage.
I guess you'd have to be there to feel it. Its like the engine literally shuts down. Very strange but you may be right.

I don't know if this is normal or not (I don't experience it on mine), but some manufacturers do indeed cut power (and torque) on the 1-2 shift under WOT to reduce the wear and tear on the transmission.
Very well could be the cause.

the OP is right

I get that a lot as well

i avoid by using Manual mode, instead of letting itself drive in Auto
So you have the same issue aswell? It doesn't happen all the time.

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2013
237 Posts
yes, there was another topic people discussing about it

although we were under the impression it was just a power loss or poor timing between 1st gear & 2nd gear

it's a computer issue, waiting for the "RPM" requirement to meet before going to 2nd gear, and vice versa

Going at it with the Sport Shift "Manual" way, you can control when to shift up or down between 1st & 2nd at the RPM you want, without having to wait for the DUMB computer which takes waaaaay too long, causing that feeling of lost power, or as you call it the "pause" when going between 1st & 2nd and vice versa

it's very noticeable during rush hour traffic bumper to bumper as you are constantly going up and down 1st & 2nd gear

·
Registered
2011 Sorento V6 LX 2WD, 01 530ia Sport, 2010 Golf
148 Posts
The slow shift is normal in our car, but I think it's a bit too slow. They designed it this way to enhance the smoothness and longevity.

I also dislike the transmission programming, I think it's reluctant to downshift unless you really step on the throttle. Also it like to choose a gear or two too high. I wish there is a sport auto mode additionally where the transmission would shift at higher rpm.

·
Registered
2012 AWD Sorento GDI EX
55 Posts
COld

Mine revs more between shifts when it's cold. When it's warm, I can't even tell when it's shifting. I figured that Kia wanted a different shift point when cold. (?)

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
There's a big ratio gap between 1st and 2nd gear, so the engine has to slow down to match the revs. Sounds like a normal auto change to me, or a good manual change. -With a manual change that was any faster, you would be slipping the clutch as you took up 2nd.

Why not use the OEM filter?

·
Registered
Race Blue MY12 Skoda Octavia RS TDI Manual
929 Posts
The speed between 1st and 2nd in any car I've ever driven is literally 50% of the rpm...
I think your redline is 7k. Lets use that as an example.

At 50km/h (example) in 1st gear, you'll be doing 7,000rpm.
To shift to 2nd gear, at 50km/h, you'll be doing 3,500rpm.
Thats 3,500rpm that the engine has to slice off, before it can actually shift the cogs into 2nd... Cutting off 3,500rpm takes time! And that time is what you can feel - the gap.

It doesn't do it when you're running easy, because it doesn't wait so long to shift - say, only shifting 1st (3,000rpm) to 2nd (1,500rpm) and then going on into 3rd, 4th, etc.
Try it in manual mode.
Go easy, but bring the revs right up in 1st gear, then shift to 2nd. See how long it takes.
That'll give you your definitive answer. :)

EDIT: Yeah, what Wry 'Cuda said, pretty much.

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2013
237 Posts
on Manual mode

From full stop
Step on the gas, and let it roll for about a couple of meter, and then you can already shift to 2nd without losing power

From decelerating / breaking (daily rush our traffic)
Shift down to 2nd then wait for RPM to drop to around 4K (approx 30Km/h), and you are safe to shift to 1st gear, step on it, it'll Rev to around 6K then shift back to 2nd gear (by now the Sorento is probably going at 40Km/h~50Km/h)
It'll maintain the speed/RPM until you shift back to 3rd (60+ Km/h)/4th gear (80+ Km/h)

our Sorento has pretty good pickup speed and torque

it only feels lousy in Auto mode, but on Manual it feels just like any Sports Car with a V6 engine
just less rigid on the suspension, and tilts more to the side when doing a hard turn to the right

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The thing that confuses me the most is that say if i'm at a red light and floor it, The 1-2 shift is normal. No power loss...just a normal clean shift. But when I let it shift to second then floor it, it downshifts from 2nd-1st and thats when I get the pause. I guess the engine just over revs. Thats my new theory. Atleast I know it's not just related to mine.

I'll try to get it on video.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
The shift from 1st to 2nd on your video seemed normal to a couple of responders (including myself). Are you expecting the car to change so rapidly that it will spin the wheels as it goes to 2nd? -That's unlikely to happen in a modern car with traction control.

Your video gear-change sounds exactly like my old Mazda 6 auto when going hard in 1st and 2nd. It didn't have traction control, so would spin the wheels on loose/wet roads.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah the video is a garbage example. It didn't do it as aggressive there. When it does do it, it feels like a real manual car. Like as if someone pushes a clutch and engages 2nd. It's very strange. I have also felt it shift normally to 2nd. I'm not expecting it to spin the tires at all. I guess you'd have to be there to know/feel what I am talking about.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.