Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The oil cap on 2018 Niro says to use 0w20 oil. But my Kia dealer uses 5w20 conventional oil. Will this make any difference on the life of the motor? Also, will this make any difference with carbon build up?

·
Registered
47 Posts
The oil cap on 2018 Niro says to use 0w20 oil. But my Kia dealer uses 5w20 conventional oil. Will this make any difference on the life of the motor? Also, will this make any difference with carbon build up?
Hi,
0W20 is better option for very cold winter because it doesn't get ticker while cold. 5W20 is also a good option for winter and summer. Synthetic oil is superior to conventional in all aspects and last longer. Maybe, you can request synthetic oil change from dealer and pay a bit more if you plan to keep your car for long time.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Read your car's User Manual to see what oil viscosities are acceptable.
Almost all 0w-20 oils are synthetic.
You shouldn't worry about using 5w-20 vs 0w-20 but synth or synth blend would be better choices.
Sometimes oil bottle may say Conventional oil while in fact it's a synth blend.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would not switch to conventional, I find it hard to believe the dealer would do that. Weight isn't nearly as important, providing you're not too far off. Being in SoCal, weight makes hardly any difference at any weight for us.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Do not switch from Synthetic to Conventional, it will destroy the engine. The manual and the cap say to use 0W-20 for all climate regions. Don't deviate.

·
Super Moderator
9,211 Posts
Do not switch from Synthetic to Conventional, it will destroy the engine. The manual and the cap say to use 0W-20 for all climate regions. Don't deviate.
Please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your signature
With the recent forum platform change, the location and vehicle details in your profile no longer show in each post.

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/account/signature

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
6 Participants
ron1004
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing