Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
09 Kia Spectra EX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't see a Spectra page so not sure where to post this. I'm new to this site, wife has a 2009 Spectra EX sedan (automatic transmission).
She was driving yesterday and says everything was normal. She stopped at an intersection and when she went to go the car wouldn't move, the engine just revved. She moved the gear select lever back to park and then through each gear attempting to accelerate each time (except park). After doing this 3 times the car finally moved in drive with excessive throttle. She was able to get the car off the road and called me. I got there and the first thing I did was check the dipstick. There was barely a drop on the end of the stick. I was able to get the car to move by placing it in 1st and the slowly accelerating and manually shifting it up through 2nd and 3rd. When I placed it in the "D" position and tried to accelerate it acted like the trans was slipping. put it back in 3rd and limped it home (about 2 miles). I checked the fluid again, same result. Put 1/2 Qt fluid in and that made it "full" on the dipstick. I then tried to run it through the gears. Holding the brake, I put it in reverse and touched the gas. It tried to back up. I then put it in drive ("D") and nothing for about 2 seconds, then it tried to lurch forward "with a bang" and without touching the throttle the car began to shudder rather violently. It shudders in any forward gear but is fine in reverse. I am clueless as to what would cause this after making the fluid level correct. There are no signs of leaking and my wife says there has not been any indication that something was amiss until the moment it failed.
Anyone know what the problem is?

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,319 Posts
You need to have it scanned for codes with a reader capable of reading the TCM (most of the inexpensive ones are not). Do this regardless if the CEL is on or not.

·
Registered
09 Kia Spectra EX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OBD reader says 0732 gear 2 incorrect ratio.
Going to try a filter/fluid change as a start. Any other insight into this is appreciated.

Don't have a code reader that does TCM, not looking to spend a bunch of money on a 11 year old car. If something simple and not too spendy, I'll try it otherwise I'll sell it to someone who wants to deal with it.

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,319 Posts
Although I'm not familiar with your vehicle, typically there will be specs available in the FSM to test the solenoids at the connector. You might want to find out about that and run whatever testing is possible, before dropping the pan for a fluid change. Reason being that if one or more solenoids test bad, it should be not much extra work to replace them, with the pan having already been removed. Of course you could instead just replace all the solenoids without testing - not what I would do, but your vehicle, your choice.

·
Registered
09 Kia Spectra EX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I just fished changing the trans fluid. Pan has a drain plug so no need to drop pan. This particular vehicle to change the filter you have to split the case and I'm not about to drop the trans myself. After changing fluid the car does the same thing.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,636 Posts
So I just fished changing the trans fluid. Pan has a drain plug so no need to drop pan. This particular vehicle to change the filter you have to split the case and I'm not about to drop the trans myself. After changing fluid the car does the same thing.
A fluid change is a preventative measure, not a corrective measure.

Have you considered @kiaguy002 suggestions?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts