Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I have a 2009 Kia Spectra with a broken rear driver exterior door handle. I bought a new handle to replace it and I can get to everything except for the screw for the short piece of the handle that allows you to slide the main part of the handle in place then secure it. There's no outer plug or anything anywhere near where it should be able to be unscrewed?! I would literally have to go through the metal part of the door to get to it. Has anyone had this issue? Is there a solution or am I destined to open that door by reaching through the drivers side forever? lol. Any help would be very much appreciated!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK! For the record, and anyone else who may have this problem, I figured it out!!

!. remove the door panel, arm rest, plastic triangle at the window
2. unscrew the door LATCH (3 screws) then pull the two rods that connect to it out of their snap holders
3. Carefully move the latch downward to reveal the hidden nut which holds the back part of the door handle on!

It was a pain in the butt but I did it and the new handle works flawlessly!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is this a common problem? My sisters 09 Spectra had the rear driver door handle break off. I found some poor videos's on youtube to replace it. does it typically fail with the handle or the latch?

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
The handle itself is prone to break, as it is PLASTIC. The replacement steps is what is the "pain" that most have a hard time with, as there is a bit of door disassembly that is needed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The handle itself is prone to break, as it is PLASTIC. The replacement steps is what is the "pain" that most have a hard time with, as there is a bit of door disassembly that is needed.
OK. So I can go to salvage and grab one or two, and not worry about the latch? Thank you.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just replaced mine, and you basically take away any nuts or bolts. Make sure you undo the 3 bolts that hold the door lock because you have to press it down to unbolt the small piece next to the outer door handle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts