Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Spectra, 2012 Forte Koup
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car just turned 68K miles, being a second owner I am out of warranty, and severely low on funds. Of course, that is when the check engine light comes on!

The car almost feels like it is stuck in 3rd gear. When I go over 60 mph, the rpm's shoot over 4.

Sigh, I'm really hoping the car isn't going to give me major problems at just 68k miles. I don't have the money for this. I bought the car two years ago at 33k miles. :( Any thoughts?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am taking the car to Pep Boys tonight to have them give me the free check engine light code. Auto Zone in my area does not do it anymore.

I will update this when I get the code,
Jen

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
Jen...
Being a second owner you may not know of the timing/cam belt needing replaced EVERY 5yrs or 60k miles... These are great engines "if" you maintain them as per KIAs recommendations. You should be OK for a few thousand more miles but I'd replace it Before 70k... If it breaks or jumps a few teeth it could spell disaster for your engine.
Also if you have an automatic the tranny fluid should be drained and refilled every 30k miles.. It takes 5 quarts and only use KIA/Hyundai TYPE III fluid. It's about $7 a quart. (at the dealers)
You can pm cobra259 here for a good price as he is a KIA parts manager...

Transmissions in 2004.5~2009 Spectras have been very reliable. They are based on a Ford/Mazda 8EAT design and Mazda resurrected this model for their current Mazda2 cars!
We are awaiting your OBDII code findings so we can help!
Dave

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Dave! I did not do the timing belt or trans flush at 60k.

I ended up just taking it to the Kia dealership this morning, and I do not know what the code was. The car is still there. The mechanic told me that the car is stuck in a gear, and that happened to save the engine. He said the code narrows it down to one of three things. It's something inside the transmission and possibly connected to the clutch? My car is automatic.

I'm sorry I can't explain it better, but my understanding was it could be a computer/wire thing, or a mechanical part gone bad. They drove me home, and are going to keep it a few more hours to figure out exactly which of the three options the code signals to is the one that actually needs to be fixed.

Fingers crossed. :-( Does that tell you anything, or is it too generic?

·
Super Moderator
6,866 Posts
The ECM/TCM (engine control module/transmission control module) controls both and if there is a communication problem or speed sensor problem between the transmission and the TCM the TCM will force the transmission into a limp mode (usually 3rd gear).. This will allow you to drive your car enough to get it off the road or to the dealership.

Input and output speed sensors have failed on these transmissions and if the TCM can't "see" how fast the engine and the wheels are moving it panics and forces itself into this limp mode... If they start talking BIG BUCKS... stop and place a post here..
Tell them you need to talk to "kevin" before anything is done...
There are options beyond the KIA dealership and their pricing..
Engines and transmissions for Spectras are unusually cheap and plentiful and an independent mechanic can reduce your repair costs greatly.
I don't mean to scare you...I/We just want you to have options over possible massive repair bills when there are other options....
Dave

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dave, you are a wonderful person. Thank you for the reply and the information! It is a scary thing for me. I'm really thankful for your help!

It ended up being a group of wires from under the dash on the drivers side that had become disconnected. That was it! They were very kind and charged me next to nothing. Thank goodness!!!

I did not do the trans flush or the timing belt at 60k because I could not afford to. I have heard mixed reactions on if these are really needed. I have replaced the battery, engine air filter, drive belt (I think it was called), and I have done regular oil changes. I would like to keep her running well past 100k miles and beyond. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
6,866 Posts
Jen...
You said "I did not do the trans flush or the timing belt at 60k because I could not afford to. I have heard mixed reactions on if these are really needed"

I know you are "short" of funds (so are we! here in Ohio)...BUT... (and it's a BIG BUT)...
do a search of "timing belt broke" here on the forums... A lot of Specra/RIO/Sportage/Optima owners did NOT heed this warning and have complained and cried and blamed KIA for them not replacing this belt...

These engines are what is called "interference" type engines...To put it simply...If the belt slips a few teeth or breaks the intake and exhaust valves WILL crash into the top of the pistons..causing MAJOR engine damage...

KIAs along with Toyotas/Hondas/Mazdas/Nissons have used this design for years and also have belts that break also....Newer designs of these makes and models have replaced the belt with a drive "chain" that should last the life of the car. This includes KIA in their newer engines... (The 2010 Forte' that replaced the Spectra has a chain).

I'm here to help others for N/C as well as other posters. We stand to make not one cent on our suggestions so you can trust 99.9% of us... I said you could go another couple of thousand miles on your belt BUT drive it easy... I have seen posts at around 74k where the belt in Spectras HAVE broken and serious problems have happened.
I'm not here to scare you or bad mouth KIAs...this is just something you NEED to do..

The transmission fluid should be replaced as it is known in this transmission that the fluid can start to turn to gel and block the torque converter and valve body causing again major transmission problems.... I did not mention replacing the water pump that is located in the same area as the timing/cam belt BUT would have on your next belt change at 120k... The above two items I felt was necessary so your "Spec" WILL reach 300k miles!! I tried to give you the most important things and not the "optional" items that wear out but do not cause terminal problems.

The Spectra was lumped into the same quality category as the earlier Sephia...which was wrong...It HAS proved it's self a car worth owning.. Because of it's "rating" engines and transmissions with low mileage are plentiful and cheap as the insurance companies totaled them when they would repair the above brands with the same damage.... KIA is now looked upon as a car of the same quality as the Japanese cars.
I bought my 06 Spectra SX as a "salvage" car with 24k miles on it for $2100 in early 2010 and have less than $3000 total in her... Now you can't buy one salvage two years later with 90k on it for under $5000 un-repaired! I call my "Spec" My Blue Phoenix (brought back from the dead) :)

Take car of your "Spec" and she will take care of you! They are great cars!
Dave

ps...
Leave a positive post in the "Good Guys/ Bad Guys" area of these forums with the name/location/persons of the dealership as other readers in California need to know where they are! Also let let your dealer know he's in our Hall of Fame...They need to know that not all customers are angry..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow that's funny! I recently had the same problem.
I have a 2009 Kia spectra taht just hit 68k, and it got a check engine light, and the car started bogging down and being unresponsive and hard to start.

Fix? Cleaned the MAF sensor.

·
Super Moderator
6,866 Posts
He Be GONE... :)
Trash from Bangladesh..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm back again, and my Spectra is "stuck" in 3rd gear again. I started a new thread and then remembered this one from the last time.

The code read from the dealerships machine: P 0743

The fix: A wire from the PCM to the TCM had to be resecured.

MY question this time around is if it's the same problem can I fix it myself.

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
280 Posts
I'm back again, and my Spectra is "stuck" in 3rd gear again. I started a new thread and then remembered this one from the last time.

The code read from the dealerships machine: P 0743

The fix: A wire from the PCM to the TCM had to be resecured.

MY question this time around is if it's the same problem can I fix it myself.
If it's the same wire connections that are coming loose, I would see if they can replace the wire harness itself as it seems the clips that "lock" them in place may be broken or missing. Another (cheap) alternative would be a couple of zip ties and anchor those wires in :)
That dealership definitely sounds like they're in it for the customer, Have them check if there are other loose wires that may need clipped back together.
Electrical issues can otherwise be very hard to track back to the source, and sometimes the symptoms point in a completely different direction!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts