Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
09 Kia Spectra 04 Dodge Neon
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 09 Spectra that keeps going through blower motor resistors does anyone know what might be causing this problem. They last for about 2 months then it only blows on high. I replace the resistor and it works once again for 2 months then goes back out. could it be possible blower motor or maybe the relay

·
Registered
89 Isuzu trooper, Subaru Forester
5 Posts
You might need to replace the wire harness assembly for the blower system. It's about 200 bucks. Very common problem on these. Check and look at all the connectors and see if they are burned or melting.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
I would say the blower motor's armature is doing a slow burn. The resistance of the windings is dropping causing more current to flow through the dropping resistor, causing more heat at the resistor, causing the resistor to fail.
The relay would not cause this problem as the contacts could go higher in resistance (burnt contacts) BUT they would not go lower in resistance. Higher resistance would lower the current flowing through the resistor and actually allow it to be cooler.
I just checked ebay and a NEW blower motor can be bought for $35 with shipping..
04 05 06 07 08 09 KIA SPECTRA BLOWER MOTOR 2.0L 4 CYL | eBay
Dave

·
Registered
Kia Spectra and Chrys Town & Country
1 Posts
You might need to replace the wire harness assembly for the blower system. It's about 200 bucks. Very common problem on these. Check and look at all the connectors and see if they are burned or melting.
@mastertech64, where do I look to buy the wire harness assembly? When my husband replaced the blower motor, he noticed there were melted and bare wires in plain view. My heater completely went out yesterday and it is -0 where I live.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,422 Posts
@mastertech64, where do I look to buy the wire harness assembly? When my husband replaced the blower motor, he noticed there were melted and bare wires in plain view. My heater completely went out yesterday and it is -0 where I live.

Thanks!
If you like PM me the last 8 of your vin# and I'll get you a good price on a new harness.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts