Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Kia Rio5. 1.6L automatic.
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled the top timing/inspection cover today to inspect the belt. Looking to see where I can get a gasket kit for the timing belt job? I looked on rock auto and couldn't come up with the top inspection cover gasket. Car is an 09. Its dry and cracked. Ordered a timing belt kit and water pump a month or so ago from rock auto and completely forgot about gaskets. I'd rather not go to the dealer but if needed...

Thanks!

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
752 Posts
I don't believe there is a gasket for the timing cover.
The timing belt (rubber style) is a dry running belt.
Ford has a rubber belt running in oil; I believe for improved durability and reduced noise, but this has not gone mainstream as of yet.
If you feel the need, purchase some RTV and make your own gasket. Don't get carried away with the bead thickness. Only a small bead of RTV is necessary for most jobs...of course clean both mating surfaces first!
Good Luck with the R&R!

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,852 Posts
That's a dust seal, and as @Lou O. suggested, you could clean and de-grease the cover and create a seal with a bead of the black silicone gasket maker - run the bead in that groove and let it set, then install - probably outlast the original.

·
Registered
2009 Kia Rio5. 1.6L automatic.
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fair enough!
Thanks guys.
When I saw that yesterday I thought they were some sort of gasket but did t understand why, given that it is a belt and not a chain. Makes sense.

·
Registered
2007 Rio5
5 Posts
A quick look seems like it’s part #21362. I just did a timing belt kit on my ‘07 and my cover has a couple cracks. No pieces are missing though so I just went ahead a reused it. Like was said it’s mainly to keep dust out.

Looks like it’s only a $5 part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts