Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Kia Rio5. 1.6L automatic.
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post here!

I’ve got an 09 Rio 5 with 165,000 kms on it. Never had a no start issue other than when it’s -30 out. With that being said, it usually turns over but very slow(frozen battery).

I brought the car to work yesterday morning after parking in an unheated garage at home. Parked it outside yesterday for my 12 hour shift underground. Came back up and hit the aftermarket remote start. It does it’s process but doesn’t attempt to start. Same goes for trying the key in the ignition. Everything powers up strong, except it won’t crank.

At first I thought it may have been a security related issue. Do these cars have programmable keys? I have no key fob and only have the one key. How long should the security light be illuminated for on the dash when you turn the key on?

i got a ride home, grabbed some tools and headed back to work to try some other stuff. I left the battery disconnected for a few hours and no luck. Unplugged ECM and removed the air filter box to gain access to the starter. Tapped the solenoid briefly and gently with no luck.
Got it towed back home. Going to put it in the garage in the next few days and let it warm up. It’s still -30C here in Northern Ontario.
I don’t believe the starter has ever been changed.
Any ideas as to where to start?

·
Registered
2006 Kia Rio 5
16 Posts
Honestly sounds to me like your battery is shot. If its the original battery that would make it 10 years old, generally lead acid batteries start to decline after 7 years. If you can get the battery to an auto shop they can test your battery for you, usually for free.

All the electronics may light up fine when you put the key in, but when you try to start it the battery cant supply enough current to turn the engine over. I had a similar thing happen with my motorcycle this summer. All the gauges and lamps would light up when I put the key in, but the moment I tried to start it the whole thing would bog down. Replacing my battery fixed the issue.

Again though, I would advise getting the battery tested first.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The battery is healthy. It was purchased last winter and I tested it.

I tried playing with it last night now that it’s back home, however I had no luck. It was plugged in for a few hours and nothing.

it won’t even turn over.

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,371 Posts
I'd recommend first trying to turn the engine over manually at the crank bolt. Although it's most likely not seized, turning it by hand is an easy thing to do and takes mechanical engine problems out of the mix.

Next (assuming it turns over by hand), try to see if the starter motor will turn over when the power side of the starter relay is jumped. If it won't turn over, and there is B+ voltage at the relay, then either the starter or it's circuit is the problem. But if the starter does turn over when jumped, then further testing will be required.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update

Got some family members to help push the car into the garage with me before Christmas. I put the heat on the next morning and jacked the car up to be able to get under neath it. I slid under, looked up at the starter and found that the wire between the solenoid and the starter was no longer intact (OE starter). Pulled starter and ordered a new one. Fast forward to today and got the starter picked up from the parts store and put it all back together. Car starts and runs beautifully again. Even changed the RF lower ball joint while it was plugging up the garage!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts