Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX Limited and Preferred Package
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Gang,

My son is at college and we are going to be working on his car when I go visit this weekend. He has had a problem with it not wanting to start lately. I think we have it narrowed down to a Neutral Safety switch. There is no power at all when he gets in and turns the key. But if he rocks the car back and forth it will come back on and he can start it.

I found where the "Inhibit Switch" is as Kia refers to it. Can anyone confirm the method for changing it out?

·
Registered
2009 Kia Optima 2.4L
5 Posts
Recently had the same problem on my '09 Kia. It was the Stop Lamp Switch, located behind the brake pedal. I believe if you change that, it will start up for you. There are a few forums on changing the Stop Lamp Switch, that might help yo.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,410 Posts
The stop lamp switch has nothing to do with the starting circuit on an 09 Optima. The car will start even with a bad stop lamp switch.

·
Registered
2009 Kia Optima 2.4L
5 Posts
No, it won't, because the stop lamp switch is what lets the computer know that the brake is depressed in order to allow the car to crank. I am telling you, my car had the exact same problem and a 12$ part is all it took to fix it.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,410 Posts
No, it won't, because the stop lamp switch is what lets the computer know that the brake is depressed in order to allow the car to crank. I am telling you, my car had the exact same problem and a 12$ part is all it took to fix it.
Its not push button start. If it was push button start, then yes, the brake switch could be the problem. My car is the same as his and it starts fine without pressing the brake pedal.

Is yours push button?

·
Registered
2009 Kia Optima 2.4L
5 Posts
No, it's a 2009 LX, key ignition... I swear that was the issue with mine. It wouldn't crank at all about a year and a half ago, the key would turn but the engine wouldn't engage. I finally figured out that if I overrode the safety feature by depressing the switch next to the shifter I could get it started, but I always had to use that override until I replaced the switch.

I know it is a well documented problem with the push-buttons, but it fixed my key ignition as well. Not sure why our two cars would be different, or perhaps my memory is failing me, which, unfortunately, it is prone to do...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts