Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
09 Borrego second row driver side seat stuck in down position. Won't go back up.

Someone was crawling over the second row seat to get out of the borrega from the third row and I pulled the release on the top of the driver side second row seat to let him out. With his weight on it the seat came crashing down into the down position. But then it wouldn't go back up when I pull the release lever.

I tried pushing and pulling on all angles and different areas of the seat while pulling the lever and its just stuck down no matter what.

Then I took the seat back off the driver side second row seat to make sure the cable was ok. Everything seems to be fine. The cable pulls on the cam shaft that rotates about 90 degrees when pulled to move the cams that must be inside of each hinge on the seat.

I also took of the seat back for the passenger side seat and see that it is a little different. It has two cables that go to that cam shaft from the release lever on the top of the seat. Not sure really why but it might have something to do with the fact that the passenger side second row seat also has the slide forward main access feature to fold and slide the seat in one motion as well as the top of the seat fold forward lever.

Either way this seat is stuck down and I can't figure out "HOW ITS LOCKED DOWN" even with the back on it you can't see what locks it into the top or bottom position. All of that magic appears to take place inside the hinges where you can't see anything but metal. Anyone have experience with this problem or how to release it.

·
Registered
14 Kia Sorento (V6 EX AWD), 2013 Nissan Altima SV
293 Posts
my first...

My first thought would be to push down and then pull up while holding the release lever open, but it sounds like you did that already.

09 Borrego second row driver side seat stuck in down position. Won't go back up.

Someone was crawling over the second row seat to get out of the borrega from the third row and I pulled the release on the top of the driver side second row seat to let him out. With his weight on it the seat came crashing down into the down position. But then it wouldn't go back up when I pull the release lever.

I tried pushing and pulling on all angles and different areas of the seat while pulling the lever and its just stuck down no matter what.

Then I took the seat back off the driver side second row seat to make sure the cable was ok. Everything seems to be fine. The cable pulls on the cam shaft that rotates about 90 degrees when pulled to move the cams that must be inside of each hinge on the seat.

I also took of the seat back for the passenger side seat and see that it is a little different. It has two cables that go to that cam shaft from the release lever on the top of the seat. Not sure really why but it might have something to do with the fact that the passenger side second row seat also has the slide forward main access feature to fold and slide the seat in one motion as well as the top of the seat fold forward lever.

Either way this seat is stuck down and I can't figure out "HOW ITS LOCKED DOWN" even with the back on it you can't see what locks it into the top or bottom position. All of that magic appears to take place inside the hinges where you can't see anything but metal. Anyone have experience with this problem or how to release it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dealer got the seat up (thank god).

They said it just needed a lube and an adjustment... (find that kind of hard to believe cause everything I saw was moving fine and pushing the cam farther to rotate more with my fingers (to simulate increased the cable pull tension) did not release the seat)

They said he worked on it for about 90 min and its $210!!!!!

Yea I have 52,000 miles on it now. They say "Its not covered under warranty because its just an adjustment.....)" What should I do? I want my car back but the price seems excessive (i already took the back panels off so they could get right to the hinges) and I don't understand why they can say it shouldn't be covered under warranty.

Who would I call at kia to ask about them covering it.

·
Registered
2009 Kia Borrego EX V8 2WD
111 Posts
$210 wow that is a lot. I would see what you can do with the store GM and then start a case with Kia corporate. That is ridiculous. Glad it works now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts